Problem Emptying Trash!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maclovin', Jun 10, 2008.

1. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I downloaded a program on a windows machine and put it on my flash drive. When I got home to my mac, I put the program on the bootcamp partition of my HDD, and came back over to Mac. I deleted the program folder off of my flash drive, but when I go to empty the trash, not all the files are deleted. One folder stays in the the trash until I eject the flash drive...then the trash is empty. When I plug the drive back in, the files show up in the trash again!! Are there any suggestions?

2. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

I have some more info on what the files are that can't be deleted. It turns out that the computer that I downloaded the program on had a virus that planted an autorun.exe file on the memory stick. That file is now in the trash and doesn't show up in explorer in windows and the drive works fine, but when I plug it back into my mac, the files show up in the trash. Those are the files that won't empty from the trash. Any thoughts??

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Reformat the drive, or try holding down Option when emptying the trash.

5. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

I already tried the hold option thing, and that didn't work...but I'm in the process of reformatting the drive now. I guess we'll see what happens.

6. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Ya...reformatting the drive worked. The files no onger show up in the trash when I plug the drive in. Thanks for eveeryones help!!