Problem Expanding with UnRarX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snuffdaddy, May 15, 2009.

1. snuffdaddy macrumors member

So when I expand an archive more than once in the same directory the files do NOT duplicate. Instead it completely expands, takes up the required disk space, and I'm left with no clue as to where the duplicate folder is on my hard drive.

Does the data exist and is the reduction in available disk space valid? If so where are the files. Or is it some kind of bug?

Any help appreciated as I really want to know what happened to my disk space :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have an Intel Mac? If you do, use The Unarchiver instead of UnRarX - it's much more robust, and updated more frequently. Plus, The Unarchiver is Intel-native.

3. snuffdaddy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah definitely on an intel mac. Thanks mate I will give it a go. Though my research tells me I might run into problems using that with password protected files. If so I guess I'll just go back to RAR Expander.

That doesn't solve the issue though... I mean my main concern is that I have lost valuable disk space to some kind of ghost. Any help?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Normally UnrarX extracts the archive into the same folder the .rar file is in.

If you extract the same .rar again, it should add an increment like ".1" to the extracted file.

You can also specify, where UnrarX extracts to.

[​IMG]

PS: UnrarX is Universal Binary, so Intel-native too. Just look into Activity Monitor when UnrarX is running and it will say "Intel" under Kind.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks spinnerlys - I wasn't aware UnRarX went Universal, nor did I know about that feature. I'll have to try it out next time I need to decompress a RAR archive.

6. snuffdaddy thread starter macrumors member

Well forget about the whole 'missing disk space' thing. I realised that it isn't the case at all.

But I'm still finding that it won't let me duplicate archives. The preference to "overwrite existing data" seems to be selected by default in preferences, so I uncheck it, open the archive and it still overwrites the existing folder... when i go back into the prefs immediately after the "Overwrite existing data" is selected again. Strange.

7. snuffdaddy thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone else find that UnRarX does this? I'm still having the issue and it's pretty annoying.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm guessing that this is either a limitation or a bug in UnRarX. Report it to the developer.