Problem exporting from Keynote to DVD - the music track vanishes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kickstart, May 23, 2008.

1. Kickstart macrumors newbie

Hi

I've produced a set of eight conference photo shows using Keynote, set to music, imported onto the panel that says Audio, with play once as the option from iTunes. These played really well at the end of each conference and the only problem was that Keynote played it at a different rate everytime it ran. The music would usually finish with the last slide and I learnt to make this a long holding slide to avoid finishing with a blank screen. Some people wanted a DVD of the show and this is where my issues started.

The problem I got was when I exported the Keynote presentations to DVD then the sound file did not burn with the DVD. This is a description of what I have tried.

I exported each file as a self running Quicktime file, with "include Audio" checked, and file size large. I removed the slide duration and build duration, (just left these blank), and it appeared to run at the correct rate. It works fine in iDVD but when the DVD is burnt there is no sound...

The movie file and sound file appear as two separate files, iDVD will not let me include the audio file, although the Apple help notes said you can discard this file, however if you do this then the sound doesn't play. The other odd thing is that when I preview the DVD it plays Ok, but if I pause it then the music continues.

I also tried going into Custom, and checking mix audio, instead of copy Audio, but it was the same result.

I've tried to export directly to iDVD, but the result appears to be the same, with 2 files.

I found an old thread suggesting using Quicktime Pro to combine the sound and video file but having bought Pro I can't find a way to do this.

I've tried reimporting the music, it was imported from the original CD as a AFF file, so I've also imported it as an MPG file (sound quality and volume is worse), but this had no effect.

My only other thing to try is to import each of the Quicktime files into iMovie and then re-export them again to iDVD. It seems a bit of a long-winded way of doing things though.

Any advice welcome, I'm using a Powerbook running OSX 10.4.11, Keynote V3.0.2 and iDVD V6. I'm happy to upgrade Keynote if this would help, but I don't think it would!

I can't believe that this should be so difficult, this is a Mac not a PC!

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Hmmmmm... Not sure on this one.

But I do have a similar workflow...

I export to Quicktime from Keynote 08. Import that into iMovie 08, then share it to the media browser. Then build an iDVD project.

May not be the best workflow for you, but it works for me. I just use Keynote to build parts of movies, so I'd have to add them to iMovie anyway.

3. Kickstart thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that but the quality of the quicktime file was terrible, also it ran at a different rate.

I was in the Apple store in Bluewater at the weekend, so I got an appointment at the "Genius" bar. They were not much help though, of course they were running the latest version of Keynote etc, this seemed to work fine so maybe I just need to upgrade... They didn't burn a DVD though so it may not have worked after all.

The "genius" told me I should use iMovie, although I'm not sure I have enough time when I'm constructing the shows to work this way.