Problem exporting mpeg-4 videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Robert Grant, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Robert Grant macrumors member

Hi guys, I am exporting a .mov clip to an mpeg-4. I am encoding using the H.264 codec as it is the best quality codec. The Mpeg-4 basic/advanced ones make my clips too dark and the H.264 codec makes it horrificly light. Is there any way I can change this?

Many thanks, Rob.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

First, make sure what you're viewing the video on is calibrated for sRGB.
    Once you've done that go back to your original MOV and see if it needs any gamma correction. ( this can be done from Quicktime Pro IIRC ). Then do the encoding.

What program are you using to encode? Quicktime Pro?

3. Robert Grant thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about your first point but I am using the Adobe RGB (1998) profile for my iMac Aluminium. And yeh I am using QuickTime Pro but the "Move to MPEG-4" option doesn't give options to change lightness/contrast etc. otherwise I would just make it darker. :(

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

I believe the gamma filter is in the filters settings on export ( sorry I'm not on my Mac right now or I would check )

As for your Adobe RGB, there's really no need to switch to sRGB... the difference should only be slight. sRGB is the de facto standard now though.

I'd focus on changing that gamma. Apple-J I think should let you change it on an MOV file. If you want to change it on the actual mp4, you'll have to do it via the filters method.

What device are you going to watch it on? Have you checked to make sure it's too dark there?