Problem: Files Cannot be moved...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ToxicWaffle, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ToxicWaffle, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

ToxicWaffle macrumors newbie

Ok I know this is a common problem because I have been searching about it for the past 2 hours. I admit this now, I am a complete noob when it comes to this kind of stuff which is why I barely understand the "answers" people have posted. I have run out of ideas. I am on a 2009 Intel-based Macbook Pro and I want to install the 32-bit (I think? I have both the 32 and the 64 but I am guessing the 32 is the right one) Windows 7 Premium. The first answer that I saw was just to reinstall the OS X. The two disks I have are the "13-inch Macbook Pro Applications Install DVD" and the "13-inch Macbook Pro OS X Install DVD." I put in the OS X install DVD and reinstalled it all. I got extremely lucky and didn't lose a single file somehow and when I tried bootcamp again it seemed to be working...but after a little bit more of the loading bar, I got the same "Files cannot be moved" thing again. I know the other option is to defrag, whatever that means, but as far as I know, the only way to defrag is to waste 30 bucks on iDefrag which I do NOT want to do. Can someone please help me? I'm desperate! :(

EDIT: You know what? I am actually wondering something else...If I were to put all important files onto an external hard drive and just completely reset my computer to its original factory stuff, will I be able to bootcamp it then? Cuz if I did that, wouldn't that get rid of all fragged files and all that bad stuff? If I am able to do that, please tell me cuz I would much rather reset my computer than go through doing stuff I don't know how to do like iDefrag....

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I was having the same problem and solved it by:
    -booting to the OSX installation DVD
    -opening disk manager
    -erasing the main disk
    -reinstalling OSX (not restoring old data yet - just fresh install)
    -Running bootcamp and partitioning
    -restore MAC data with migration assistant
    -install Windows

3. ToxicWaffle, Jun 26, 2011

ToxicWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO, the easiest way to deal with this is to use a large enough HDD, use CCC to create a full bootable image on a large enough external.

Now you can boot from the external, and wipe the internal drive. Clone back to the internal and boot from that. Run Boot Camp Assistant.

In the 2009 MBP, like the one I have. I'd take advantage of this to actually do an HDD upgrade. Swap the clone on the larger HDD and swap it into the internal. Then proceed with Boot Camp Assistant wit the new larger drive in place.

B

5. ToxicWaffle, Jun 26, 2011

ToxicWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

But would my simple idea work? :/ Since I just spent money on windows 7 the last thing I want to do is go buy another thing so I don't think I will upgrade my hard drive.

EDIT: Ok I realized something. If I were to wipe my hard drive and just put all the files back onto my computer after the wipe via an external hard drive, would that mean I lose my iLife? My brother took the CD and never gave it back to me so there is no way of redownloading. Would it be possible for me to move the iLife applications to the external hard drive and just put them back on the reset macbook pro? Or will the computer like not accept them?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's why I suggest cloning the whole existing internal HDD and cloning it back (since you don't want to use the clone as your new OS disc). This assumes your external HDD is large enough to hold the entire contents of your internal HDD.

Doing anything on a file-by-file basis only increases your risk.

JMHO.

B

7. ToxicWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, good news. I got it to work! I had to put all my important stuff on an external hd and then i wiped my computer. The Windows side is working fine except for one thing. The microphone doesnt work :/ I did run the OS X CD and stuff and before I did, my volume was broken but now I have the volume back. Anyone have trouble with their microphones?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you let Apple Software Update do its thing?

B

9. ToxicWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

? I'm not following...I put in the OS X disk and I let it run the bootcamp thing, but I didn't let (or see) any apple softward update go down. How do I do that?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's a program installed under Windows by Boot Camp, iTunes, Safari, ... that handles updates for all Apple software under Windows.

Run it until it says no more updates available.

B

11. ToxicWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean? Like on the mac side? Yes I completely updated the mac side already. If your not talking about the mac side, then i have no idea.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you miss my last post?

http://www.apple.com/softwareupdate/

B