Problem flashing Sapphire 4890 NE with Zeus in Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juanm, Aug 6, 2010.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Hi everyone. I already posted this problem in the Golden Guide, but I need an answer fast, in case I have to send the card back.

After the last attempt (my 4870 arrived dead as the dodo) I got the right (I think) Sapphire 4890 New Edition with Qimonda chips:

Part Number: 288-1E115-D20SA
    SKU: On the card: 11150-11. Oddly, on the box it's written 11150-11-20R

I put it in my Mac Pro 1,1 in slot 1 and backed up the Rom in Windows with GPU-Z (.bin file attached)

With the Mac off, I moved it to slot 2, with my ageing (and dying) X1900XT in slot 1

I got the ROM number 1, according to the ROM table gathered by Peloche, and attempted to flash it with Zeus, but got the following message:

"Flashing aborted
    ROM already identical to card firmware.
    Card not compatible with ROM or Zeus."

Any ideas about what it could be? I tried the Peloche ROM that came in the 01 to 05 pack, as well as another I found elsewhere.
    I thought this card was one of the more widely used, so Zeus is certainly compatible with it, right? Is there anything I have to unlock?

Also, on a separate issue, how do I have to power the cards during the flashing process? 1 cable to each? Only to the X1900XT?
    I've noticed when I launch the 4890 with only one cable on slot 2, there's a red led turning on under the PCB.

Thanks for your help

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

97% of the time, that error means Zeus does not work with that card.
    go bootcd.

3. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

So, I'm happy to report another flashing success using BootCD on a Mac Pro 1,1

A few difficulties were on the road, though, so I'll list them for those who might need some help:
    I basically followed these instructions: link

Because now Ultimate Boot CD is in its 5.something version, I had to find the same 4.1.1 version he used. I found it here

I then proceeded to attempt to flash the card, but it wouldn't recognize it, showing only the X1900XT installed. The problem being that the X1900XT requires a power cable to boot, and the 4890 two power cables to work properly. I solved this powering the card from another PC (cumbersome, but it worked)

That's about it.

I now have a problem, though. QE/CI shows as not installed in Zeus, so when I try to install, everything seems to work, but it really doesn't: after the reboot, it still shows as uninstalled in Zeus, and doesn't work. And websites with Flash crash constantly.