Problem getting Airtunes to play with home speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elrey686, Dec 10, 2010.

1. elrey686 macrumors newbie

I've been trying to get my airtunes express to stream sound through my home stereo with no luck. I am using a PC running my the airport express through a JVC receiver. Everything on the part of the Airport express seems to be connected correctly, I am able to log online and get a steady green light. I setup iTunes to allow for the living speakers to play but when iTunes tries to connect to the other speakers it doesn't seem to recognize them being available. I've tried connecting it through both a digital optical connection and regular red/white audio cable connection to the back of the receiver.

When using my itouch it syncs perfectly to my computer as I able to change the songs, and volume my computer is playing. When I try to select the living room speakers on my computer its grayed out an never seems to complete the connection process. When I connect to them on my itouch it connects but only sound comes out of the computer. I've made sure the volume is turned up on the master volume tab on iTunes. Do I need to do a hard reset? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

how is the express connected to your network?

I've got one that is connected to the wireless network, and sometimes a reboot of the main wireless base station can fix problems.

3. elrey686 thread starter macrumors newbie

The airport express is currently connected my existing Linksys router in one of the ports. It is not connected to that network though, I set up a separate network for it. I am connected to the airport express network on both my computer and itouch when I try to play the music. I am assuming it is a connectivity issue or software because if it was streaming the sound correctly I should be able to plug in headphones into the airport express and hear sound correct?

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I think that is your problem.
    Can you explain what you mean by separate network?

5. elrey686 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had an exisiting wireless network running prior to installing the airport express. Instead of getting rid of my Linksys wireless router and plugging Airport express into the modem, I connected it to one of the exisitng ports in the Linksys router. It seem eaier to set it up seperetly under its own name instead of adding it to my current wireless network....so currently when you search for wireless networks 2 seperate ones will show up. I made sure my itunes, computer and itouch are all using the one network that airport express is providing. Should I try to connect the airport express directly to the modem and get rid of the Linksys router, I guess theres really no point to have it.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

since the express is hardwired to your old router, if you connect to your old wireless, you will connect to the express.

on the express you can turn the wireless off.

7. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Well, I was going to say keep the router and just turn off DHCP (router functions) in the Express. That way, all computers will be working through the same subnet, controlled by the Linksys. The Express would be a wireless access point.

But I can't find a decent document on the web for how to do it in Airport Utility.
    Maybe you can figure out how to do it...

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

under internet on the express, set connection sharing to "off (bridge mode)"

give it the same SSID and security as the main base but a different channel.

But, if your express and the main base are close to each other, you'd probably be better off turning wireless off.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Or if your Linksys router does is not simultaneous dual-band capable, you can set the Express to broadcast 802.11n (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz) and give it a different SSID. Then your old b/g devices can connect to your Linksys' SSID and newer N devices to your Express. But you'll have to make sure to turn off Connection Sharing on the Express as others have noted.

10. elrey686, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

elrey686 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm I was not able to set the express to bridge mode, I did not see it as an option under internet in express utility, how do I turn off the wireless function on the airport express?