Problem getting iPhoto library into Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bzollinger, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I've been working with Apple support on this but they haven't been able to resolve it yet so I thought I throw it on here incase others are having the issue too or is someone here has some help to offer. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

I'm running a mid-2010 MacPro 3.2ghz quad, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD system drive, with all apps and working data on 3TB SATA drive.

Yesterday I upgraded from 10.9.x (most up to date version) to 10.10.3. I was waiting for the new photos app to be released before upgrading. I was running iPhoto '09 with a large of library of 229GB/60,000+ photos. 'm running a mid-2010 MacPro 3.4ghz quad, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD system drive, with all apps and working data on 3TB SATA drive.

The photos app acts like it's going to work, but just take time and about an hour into it, the app crashes and quits unexpectedly. I've seen it get as far as ~60%, before it dies. The library that it creates before dying is alway 183.28GB. So it seems that it is crashing at the same point every time. It's failed a total of 6 or 7 times...

Attempts by Apple to fix it have been:
    *Check for spyware
    *Check for updates
    *Boot into Safe Mode
    *Boot into Safe Mode and try to import the library
    *Delete some cache files in two spots

Each error log is 40 pages here is the first page of what I get when it crashes:

Process: Photos [447]
    Path: /Applications/Photos.app/Contents/MacOS/Photos
    Identifier: com.apple.Photos
    Version: 1.0 (209.52.0)
    Build Info: PhotoApp-209052000000000~4
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: Photos [447]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-04-08 22:58:56.617 -0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D131)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: 10DB36FE-0D22-225A-90CF-E0A3B7FE0F5D

Time Awake Since Boot: 3600 seconds

Crashed Thread: 19 Dispatch queue: OKDocumentsManager Files Access Queue

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    Assertion failure in -[OMFakeDocumentController _documentWillBeginAsynchronouslyPreservingVersion:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1347.57/AppKit.subproj/NSDocumentController.m:6175
    Should only be invoked on main thread.

Application Specific Backtrace 1:..........................

2. MonkeyDavid macrumors newbie

3. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Certainly sounds like a similar problem. How long did you work with Apple to try and resolve it? Did they get anywhere? What did they tell you when you gave up?

Good luck!

4. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Follow up

After getting to the third iApps tech I was escalated to a senior tech, that took basically 45 minutes to capture system log data to be sent to the engineers. So hopefully they can figure out what the heck is going on.

He said that he's seen a few other people have this problem but no solution has been found yet...

5. MonkeyDavid macrumors newbie

Follow up

So I actually isolated an album of 29 photos that, if exported as an Aperture library, has this error when imported into Photos. So I made an album of the first ten, imported--no error. Same with the second ten. Then the last nine...no error.

So I give up. (And, yes, I went back and exported the 29 again, and still got the error).

6. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Good work finding a workaround! I'm screwed cause I was running iPhoto '09 and it completely non-functioning now that I'm up to 10.10.3.

This did get me thinking about how I might be able to take my 230GB iPhoto library and get it on to an older Mac and into iPhoto or Aperture (if it'll retain my albums, events, etc.). Then export it back out to then be feed into the new Photos app. Or any other variation of that process to allow me to keep the countless hours of time spent working with the photos in iPhoto...

It'd be best if I could do all the work here locally on my MP. I get that Apple wants to move on from old software, but to make that software instantly obsolete is complete BS.:mad:

7. MonkeyDavid macrumors newbie

Still troubled

Key point first: I've isolated the problem down so I have a 42MB Aperture library I would be happy to send to Apple with two images, same name, different sizes. I'll try to go through Applecare tomorrow to offer that.
    I can't identify a comminality among the images causing issues, so I can't purge them all from my library to get the migration done. I can migrate either image by itself to iPhoto, but if they are in the same library (or any other similar troubled pair) the migration appears to finish, then the same error occurs (and re-occurs on any attempt to open Photos):

Application Specific Information:
    Assertion failure in -[RKBipJob updateFromJob:], /SourceCache/PhotoApp/PhotoApp-209.52/lib/redrock/Image/RKBipJob.m:68
    Invalid parameter not satisfying: [self isEqual:job]
    abort() called

Stuck now on moving to Photos...