problem!! (hard drive spins down)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applefiend95, Mar 12, 2013.

1. applefiend95 macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2012
    before you all post the hate comments on PC, let me be clear that along with the pc i built, i also bought a MacBook Air 13" base.

so i built a PC for the shear purpose of being university-friendly (since all my uni software require pc). the specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i7 3770K
    RAM: 16GB at 1600
    primary boot: 240GB intel SSD -> OS and all programs
    secondary HDD: Segate 1TB -> where all my files are stored
    motherboard: ASUS P8 Z77-vlk
    graphics: intel HD 4000

i am not a huge tech guru so i seek this help. the pc is blazing fast but when i am not accessing any files or doing any work on a file (saved on the 2nd HDD), the 2nd drive goes to sleep. it irritates me every time i access a file because the HDD clicks on and there is a lag of about 2 seconds before the computer starts functioning again.

how do i circumnavigate this problem? is it because my power supply is not providing enough juice that it goes to sleep? or is it a problem with the HDD itself? the help would be much appreciated.
  2. jmthigpen macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2011
    Charleston, SC

You can change this in power options:

Attached Files:

3. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    I guess you use Windows 7 or 8 on that machine?

Can this help then?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.
  4. applefiend95 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2012
    thanks a lot guys. did it just now, will see how that works out in an hour or two!! :D
  5. applefiend95 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2012
    thanks to both of you, it worked just fine.

i dont know if you are familiar with liquid cooling but will that reduce the amount of noise coming from the fans of my computer? is there a specific power supply that is like pretty low on noise?