Problem hooking up my Magic Trackpad to my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stitch30, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Stitch30 macrumors member

Hi guys !

I don't know if someone else has experience the same problem that I'm having right now.

I just bought the new Magic Trackpad to use with my iMac running Leopard version 10.5.8 (all the updates have been installed). The iMac cannot connect to the pad because it keeps saying that I need to enter the code into the pad. How the hell can I do that on a thing that has no inputs ?

Then I realised that on the box, it says ''compatible with OSX 10.6.4 or later''. Am I screwed here ? If yes, I should have read the box before buying it.

Is there a way to make things work other than buying Snow Leopard ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thank you.

2. Kentobentos macrumors member

Sorry but I think you are out of luck... Below is from the Apple software update page, and you need 10.6.4 to download the driver... Sorry

About Magic Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.0
    This update adds support to Mac OS X for the Magic Trackpad and is required for its use.
    It also enables*inertial scrolling and the*three-finger drag gesture in recent MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 is required before installing this update.

For more information about this update, please visit this website:*http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4254

For additional information about the Magic Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad please visit:*http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Yeah us 10.5.8 users are SOL. Thanks Apple. Since I have a copy of Snow Leopard and the Magic Trackpad on my desk I am thinking of making the switch. Though it annoys me that I am switching because Apple forced me to.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

That is besides the point. I may have software that has only been throughly tested on 10.5.8 or a host of other possible reasons I do not want to upgrade. My personal reasons are that 1) I am lazy, 2) 10.5.8 does all I need it to. I do not like how Apple just decided the Trackpad will only work with Snow Leopard. Not to mention the "Genius" told me it would work.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That won't last forever. In fact, it already cannot do something you need it to ;)

7. Stitch30 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply.

I guess I'll have to upgrade my OSX. Didn't want to but now that I cannot return my Trackpad (the Apple Store were I bought it is out of my town), it's my only option. At least, like other people say, Snow Leopard is worth it. We'll see.

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Haha, should have said "it did everything I needed it to" :p

Anyway I am biting the bullet as I cannot return it either and I have SL anyway. Just been too lazy to install it.

9. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

just upgrade to SL it is worth it if you ask me

10. DoorMouse macrumors member

yeah i had to buy the snow leapard upgrade when i bought the trackpad- i guess i had to upgrade at somepoint, I had just been too lazy to do it until now :p

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you have the apple store receipt, they should let you return it to any apple store.

12. Stitch30 thread starter macrumors member

I would return it but the nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hours from where I live. It would cost me less to buy SL at 35$.

But I have another question ... I recently bought a MBP. Can I use the installation disc that came with it on my iMac ? Or I really need to buy a new copy ?

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

speaking of snow leopard being compatible with previous versions of software, does anyone know where the list of applications that are NOT compatible with SL is? I searched and couldn't seem to find it... I apologize for being completely clueless with the MR search feature but I can never seem to get that to work for me for some reason... I've got a family pack of SL, and it's on all of my other computers but I haven't installed it on my macbook yet because I use QuickBooks 5 for my business- I know, it's old, but I like it, lol- and I'm not sure it's compatible...

OP, be glad you have 10.5.8 My daughter just got the iPhone 4 and she was still using Tiger... What a hassle that was to get her computer able to use the new iPhone...Going from Leopard to SL is very easy- but going from Tiger to SL is not.. It's understandable on Apples part, but it was definitely a hassle

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

No. The disks that come with the systems do a check first before they allow installation. Not the case for the retail copies.

I don't think incompatibilities is quite the problem it was when SL came out as most apps have been revised. Here's a list http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

15. JGSamuel macrumors newbie

MagicFix - Working on 10.6.3 ; 10.5.8 etc

I've been able to make a force-install of the v1.0 Magic Trackpad update.

The installer checks OS for 10.6.4 version, and when found to be below, would force-stop. After repackaging it, it will still check (and warn) but it will proceed with the install. It's running successfully on 10.6.3; 10.5.8 etc on a mixture of MacPro's and MacBook Pro's (also one iMac)

I've blogged the how-to as well as provided the finished .pkg file.

Joel Samuel @ JGS.me.uk
    http://jgs.me.uk/post/934693437/magicfix

(Use it at your own risk etc etc.)

16. mrgstiffler macrumors member

mrgstiffler

Here's another way to do it. This works for me on 10.6.3. I don't know if it would be compatible with Leopard though.

Go here and download the update:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066

Go here and download Pacifist:
    http://www.charlessoft.com/

Run Pacifist and drag the update Pkg into it.
    Hit install from the Pacifist menu.
    Reboot and enjoy your Magic Trackpad.

17. vladzaharia macrumors regular

I'd be weary of doing that. Code-wise, the difference between 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 are not that great, while there is a huge leap from 10.5 to 10.6.

18. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

agreed. i tried it on an intel mac pro running 10.5.8, and it hosed my system. not even the apple geniuses could fix it after 20+ hours of diagnostics. ultimately they had to erase and reinstall the system.

@vladzaharia: no offense, but you'd be either "wary" or "leery," but definitely not "weary." just sayin'. :)