Problem importing iMovie work into Final Cut Express.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CanadianDonkey, Sep 16, 2008.

1. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

Hello all. I am trying to import a iMovie project into FCE, and I'm having some troubles.

First, I tried the "export to xml" way, and import it into final cut, it works, but the video is just one long video clip, and I'd have to go through it and re-cut every video snippet so I can edit it.

So, I tried to open the project directly from FC, (Which the user manual says would work) and I get an error saying it's the wrong file type.

What gives?

2. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

If the manual says it will work ( which I never knew about ) I'm guessing they're only saying it will work with iMovie HD and not the newest version iMovie 08. What version are you using?

4. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

hmmm... version 7.1.2....

let me just quote the part from the manual.

the only possible solution i can think of is attempting to reinstall fc... it might help...

it's says it won't work for imovie 2 or earlier, so it should work for imovie 08, right?

5. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

What version of FCE are you using?

6. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

7. DEbersole macrumors newbie

I am having a different issue, maybe some of you have experienced it.

I exported an iMovie XML to Final Cut Express 4 and edited with it, likewise having to chop one long single combined clip into the clips they were previously, but there was another problem as well:

The picture was either too large or too small, and by that I mean when I clicked 'Fit to Window' in either the Canvas or Viewer, it shrunk the picture to 28%, about the size of the picture in the camcorder's small viewfinder, with background taking up the rest. It also translated this way upon uploading to YouTube, with the picture being shrunk down. I fixed it by manually resizing, but I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this in the settings.

If anyone knows the answer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Dave

8. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Try this. Once in iMovie, close it. Open FCE and select import, point it to the iMovie events folder, the files to the video. Since they both import video in AIC, this should work. FCP uses Pro Res which I here different comments about. Some prefer AIC, some prefer prores.

9. urbanbound macrumors newbie

help

I am also trying to import imovie into FCE. Seems that imovie is leaving something out when it imports to my desktop.
    The file isn't recognized as an xml file (my guess) since it is greyed out when I try to export it with FCE.

Any help is appreciated.

10. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Do not export anything from iMovie. iMovie creates a AIC file with .mov extention. Just point FCE to were your iMovie events are stored. Remember you created an event when you brought it in to iMovie.