Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnight14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Hello, I hope everyone is fine.

I've got a fatal issue in my mac after I tried to update it to the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.2). The update downloads normally and it restarts my computer and it shows me this:

IMG_3868.jpg

That wouldn't let me do any thing with my mac until I recovered the previous version from my Time Capsule backup. Till now I tried to install the update 2 times and it keeps giving me the same wrong message as in the picture above and I recovered my system twice.

My device info is:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-07%20at%2012.36.49%20AM.png

Please help me ASAP How can I update my mac and avoid this issue?

Thank you

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Have you by any chance installed a plugin that enables TRIM? Like TRIM Enabler? Yosemite introduced a new security mechanism that prevents your Mac from booting when it discovers that one of its kernel extensions has been modified. The most common plugin that caused this issue is TRIM Enabler. If you do, make sure to disable it before you update, because a system update will sometimes reset the security mechanism that causes the error message you see.

midnight14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Have you by any chance installed a plugin that enables TRIM? Like TRIM Enabler? Yosemite introduced a new security mechanism that prevents your Mac from booting when it discovers that one of its kernel extensions has been modified. The most common plugin that caused this issue is TRIM Enabler. If you do, make sure to disable it before you update, because a system update will sometimes reset the security mechanism that causes the error message you see.

Thank you so much for the reply
Yes indeed, I've Trim enabler installed on my mac,

So do you suggest that I should turn Trim enabler off or uninstall it completely?
Also can I turn it on or reinstall it again once I get OS X 10.10.2 installed?

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Thank you so much for the reply
Yes indeed, I've Trim enabler installed on my mac,

So do you suggest that I should turn Trim enabler off or uninstall it completely?
Also can I turn it off or reinstall it again once I get OS X 10.10.2 installed?

Turning it off will be enough. That will undo the modifications to the kernel extensions, so the system will not refuse to boot once the security mechanism kicks in. You might want to restart your system anyway, because Trim Enabler also enables the security mechanism again for you (which requires a reboot). Just to make sure. ;)

After the update, you just enable it again and restart your Mac. Just remember to do this whenever you update your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.