Problem in Mail! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dannewell15, May 1, 2007.

1. dannewell15 macrumors regular

OK. so I recently made the switch from pc to mac and I have transferred my mail account, mostly. I can recieve new messages but my old messages are stuck on my old pc. I used mozilla thunderbird on my pc, is there any way to copy my old messages accross? Also, i tried sending an email and it says that my address was rejected by the server. What does this mean and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance for any help guys! :)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well if you used Thunderbird, good luck with getting your email messages off. Thunderbird is the biggest pain in the butt to get messages and accounts transfered even to another PC. I don't think Thunderbird will even import its own database believe it or not.

Check your SMTP settings and make sure they are correct. Different ISP's have different ways of getting mail sent. Some require authenication and some don't as well.

3. skwij macrumors 6502

Navigate to your PROFILE folder in Thunderbird on the "old" account. I can't remember offhand the file path, but it's not the one associated with Programs. Copy that profile, which will be a random string of letters and numbers.

Paste that profile into ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles

Create the "Profiles" folder if you don't already have it.

All settings, themes, extensions, filters, flags, and mail, etc should now be in the "new" account on the new computer.

This also works for FireFox, including bookmarks, userchrome, themes, etc. Worked flawlessly when I set up TB and Fx on the Macbook, and wanting everything "the same" as what I had customised on the desktop Mac, which I had originally copied over from a WinXPpro version of the install, which I had run for over 5 years.
    [​IMG]

Note of course, that you will have to install TB for Mac for this to work. Once you've got access to everything on the same computer, "getting used to" Mail.app isn't as scary, IMO.

I tend to use TB and Mail.app pretty much interchangeably these days.

4. dumbkid macrumors newbie