Problem in ms word

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Why am i getting lag when i type fast? When i open a new word document and i type fast, it seems the letters take about a second to catch up.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
On what Mac? With what specs? With which OS? With how many other apps open? You definitely need to provide more info..

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
yellow said:
On what Mac? With what specs? With which OS? With how many other apps open? You definitely need to provide more info..
1.2 12 inch ibook, 256 ram, panther osx, itunes open. Anyone know why this is happening?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
1) 256 is not a lot of RAM and both MS Word and iTunes are RAM hogs.
2) And if you try it without iTunes open?
3) Try iLikeMyiMac's suggestion..
4) Which version of MS Word? Word X or Word 2004?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
yellow said:
1) 256 is not a lot of RAM and both MS Word and iTunes are RAM hogs.
2) And if you try it without iTunes open?
3) Try iLikeMyiMac's suggestion..
4) Which version of MS Word? Word X or Word 2004?
The new version, i just bought the student/teacher edition at the Apple store yesterday.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Why am i getting lag when i type fast? When i open a new word document and i type fast, it seems the letters take about a second to catch up.
I had this problem using Office v.X on an iBook with 384MB RAM I now use same program on a new iMac with 1GB RAM which has cured it. Cant's say if it's the speed bump or extra RAM that helped or a bit of both.

zzzuppp

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
Can I hitch a ride on this thread with a similar problem? The same thing happens on our Mac (450 mhz PowerPC G4;OSX 10.3.4;256 MB ram) except that Word (we have v.X) crashes frequently,often inexplicably but usually when it seems not to be keeping pace with typing.Often-but by no means always-we might have Safari or Mozilla open at the same time.
Really frustrating,we're having to hit 'Save' almost every sentence.We didn't have this problem before I upgraded from 10.1.5.Can anyone suggest a solution? I've tried trashing Word prefs.Can't afford the upgrade...