Problem in Safari/WebKit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tanegashima, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a problem, when I try to open http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision Safari doesn't crash, but it hangs, I think it's the gif on that page, but... a gif? SRSLY.

When I open it with Dictionary.app, it's the same.

My computer is a Black macbook (C2D 2.4ghz and 4GB of RAM), I have Leopard 10.5.7 and Safari 4.0.1 (5530.18), do you have the same problem?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The playback of animated images in Safari has been a well known issue. Safari still chokes on them from time to time.

This might be relevant as well.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Yes, I sometimes have the same problem with gifs in Safari. Annoying.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It turns out that the slow GIF issue is due to a bad interaction between a memory saving optimization in WebKit and the underlying CoreGraphics layer in OSX. My understanding (based on somewhat limited access) is that the WebKit team has filed a request for the necessary CG functionality to be added to not trigger the problem while still maintaining the memory optimization.

5. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

I've heard that the GIF problem is completely fixed in Snow Leopard's 64-bit Safari.

But at least the newer versions of (Leopard) Webkit are better than the Safari 4 Beta's.

6. Tanegashima thread starter macrumors 6502

IDC, I want that problem fixed now, even Windows doesn't have that kind of problems! It's too bad... I don't think  is being fair to his costumers and supporters that way...

I know it's only a bug... but a bug realing to GIFs and memory today is unquestionable!

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Very correct

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Interesting. I suppose I'll have to go find some animated GIFs to test on now. I don't see them often enough for it to have come up yet since I switched to SL.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

2009 17" MacBook Pro with MacOS X 10.5.7 and Safari 4.0.1. No problems at all. Same experience with 2003 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 with MacOS X 10.4.11 and Safari 4.0..

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I didn't see the problem at first. Didn't realise that you needed to watch it for a while to see the CPU usage just hit the roof then...beachball.

Interesting. I mean there are ani-gifs everywhere, maybe that one's particularly big? or created different from the rest.

11. Tanegashima thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe you dind't wait the necessary time, My friend's MabBook unibody 2.0Ghz also locks.

12. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Large MB gifs.

13. Tanegashima thread starter macrumors 6502

There are more like that one...

Obviously they overload the CPU, wich doesn't happen in... ahem... windows... never tried on firefox...