Problem Installing Office 2004/X on Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigslidehimself, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bigslidehimself macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a switcher, got my first mac 2 days ago.

I had the office 2004 trial going, but I can download the full version from my school, so I did, onto my desktop. It was just a regular file, office2004.sit i believe. However, when I double clicked it, it would just open the trial of 2004. My friend who is a mac "expert" told me to take the office 2004 trial from my applications and put it in the trash and empty trash. I think this was a bad idea. Because after that, when i clicked on the 2004 full version, it would jsut bring up a window of garbled text. I downloaded full version of office X as well, same thing. Keep in mind, these are fully legit copies of office downloaded from my school. What should I do? and no i don't have time machine running.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Personally I think you should use NeoOffice, as its faster than MS:Office on Intel Macs...if not try using Spotlight to delete ALL Office's file apps then installing fresh...

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

If it's a .sit file, it would probably be a good idea to try expanding it with stuffit expander.

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

For what it's worth, Office 2004 will run fine when you get it expanded properly.

Can you expand it on a non Leopard box and move the file that way?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yep, you'll have to get Stuffit Expander, and use that to open the .sit or.sitx file. Then you can install the files in your applications folder.

Brian

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You will also need to uninstall the trial version. To do this, you must use the uninstaller utility.

7. bigslidehimself thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thank you for your help and advice, I downloaded stuffit expander and everything seems to be working. Thanks again.