Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I downloaded SP1 (12.1.0) update to Office 2008 but when the install program gets to "Select the Volume to install this Update" there is a warning symbol on my Mac OSX disk icon and an error message that says:

You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.

I do have Office 12.0 installed and the folder is in the Applications folder. I removed Entourage as I use Mac Mail - do you think this is causing the problem?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

greginjapan

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Me too

I have found exactly the same problem. I have also uninstalled entourage - am guessing that this is the cause. Would be grateful for someone more 'expert' to verify. In the meantime I am going to install entourage...

(Update) Installed entourage. SP1 installs perfectly now...

danson

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I have Entourage installed (but don't use it) yet have the same error message as you.

I also had the same problem with the 12.0.1 update and have tried many of the suggested fixes but none of them worked for me.

Seems I am destined to use 12.0 ad infinitum - but thankfully I have not experienced any problems with the progs I do use (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
I have Entourage installed (but don't use it) yet have the same error message as you.

I also had the same problem with the 12.0.1 update and have tried many of the suggested fixes but none of them worked for me.

Seems I am destined to use 12.0 ad infinitum - but thankfully I have not experienced any problems with the progs I do use (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)

I had the same problem, I re-downloaded the update from MS site and was able to update without a problem.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I downloaded using AutoUpdate and downloaded just fine. When I went to install it said I had to shut-down autoupdate which I did and the install continued without incident. Only brought up Entourage since I connect to my company for buisness and that worked fine. Have never really liked Apple Mail. I have not tried any of the other Office Programs yet but so far I have had no problems.

Bill......:apple:

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Okay here's what I did. I reinstalled Office 2008 over the top of my existing program, ran the "check for updates" part of the install and it downloaded and installed SP1 with no problems.
When I removed Entourage I must have deleted some of the applications files that SP1 needs.
Everything is now fine.
Alan

BigLep

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
Hack to work around Office 2008 updates not installing

I have looked at the script Office 2008 updaters use for installing updates, and it has a weakness where if an Office component isn't installed (like Entourage) the update won't see a volume as updatable.

Here's a quick solution.

1. Download the updater or get it from your Cache directory where Microsoft AutoUpdate downloads it.
2. Mount the DMG file (disk image).
3. Copy the Updater application (e.g. "Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0)") to your desktop.
4. Right click on "Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0)" and do "Show Package Contents"
5. Navigate to Contents -> Resources
6. You need to modify the script: package_updatable. Remove these lines:
Code:
if not found_valid_version:
        sys.exit(48)
"package_updatable" is read only so I did this using sudo. My command in Terminal was:
Code:
sudo vim /Users/stevenl/Desktop/Office\ 2008\ SP1\ Update\ \(12.1.0\).mpkg/Contents/Resources/package_updatable
I then did a :wq! to save it.

After performing these steps, I was able to run the installer successfully even though I don't have Entourage installed.

BigLep

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
Ignore my advice for now. It has screwed up other elements of my Office install. Word is crashing all the time now.

BigLep

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
I removed my previous install office and reinstalled without installing Entourage. The update worked fine this time. Weird.

ManateemaN

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
off topic but installation related

Am I stupid? Yes. So, how the heck do i install office 08 for a mac os 10.5? In that regard, i'm having difficulty installing anything whether its downloaded or from a disk. A prompt tells me that i need to find an application to open the installer. i've tried stuffit expander to no avail. Please help. If you need more info from me, i'll do my best. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.