Problem installing OS X via Target Disk Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jlg0987, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jlg0987 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I recently had to install a new HD into my PowerMac G4 Gigabit tower due to a drive failure. I am trying to install OS 10.3 back onto the new HD but it is not working. My install disk doesn't want to work and I get this message that says there is a problem during instillation. The HD is formatted correctly. I have tried almost every trick I know to help it along but it won't work. I am down to my last resort.

I thought that maybe I could use the .dmgs from my install disks and run them from my iMac G3 with 10.3 and connect to my G4 via Target Disk Mode and see if that could work. I just tried it but I don't know if my G4 can boot into Target Disk Mode because it has no OS. Can someone tell me if this plan would work or if there is another thing I can do?

Thanks,
    Joey

2. PLin macrumors 6502

Target Disk Mode will work even with no OS. However, installing OS X from disc images can be a bit tricky, since you can't boot from them like you can from a CD/DVD. You'll have to use the Terminal to run the installer. I can't remember where the installer is on the 10.3 install discs, but in Tiger and Leopard, it's at:

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.pkg