problem installing seagate free agent on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natbarrett, Aug 24, 2009.

1. natbarrett macrumors newbie

I bought a Seagate Free Agent Go--for pc and i have a mac. My mac will recognize it but i can't use it. I have tried installing it myself and have tried to follow someones instructions but nothing is working. Is it possible to change the format or am i going to have to buy a new one that works for mac? please help-thanks in advance-natalie

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is probably formatted NTFS, you can do one of two things.

You can Erase it using Disk Utility, and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Or, you can install NTFS-3G and use it on both Mac and PC. It will be slow on the Mac, but it will work.

3. natbarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't mind erasing it in disk utility but I wouldn't know how to reformat it for mac. I hate to ask but could you point me in the direction of any tutorials you might know. I am not very good with computers so this is all new stuff to me.
    thanks for quick reply

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/) for reformatting. Select your drive, choose your options (Mac uses HFS format) and hit erase for formatting to begin.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "i don't mind erasing it in disk utility but I wouldn't know how to reformat it for mac. I hate to ask but could you point me in the direction of any tutorials you might know. I am not very good with computers so this is all new stuff to me."

It's much easier than you might think:
    1. Plug the drive into the Mac, turn it on, let it spin up. At this point it doesn't matter if it doesn't mount on the desktop.

2. Launch "Disk Utility" (it's in the "Utilities" folder which is inside your "Applications" folder)

3. You should see the icon for the Seagate drive in the left-hand side of DU's window.

4. Click on the the icon for the Seagate to selet it, then click "erase" to the right.

5. From the choices you are offered, choose "HFS, journaled". You can also give the volume a name if you wish.

6. At this point, you can also partition the drive if you want, but that is not necessary if you only want a single volume/partition.

7. Click down below to begin the re-initialization process.

When it's done, quit DU. The drive should now be on the Mac desktop.

IMPORTANT:
    If you choose to use HFS, be aware that the drive will NO LONGER MOUNT on Windows PCs. (at least, not without some addition software on the Windows side, I believe)

- John

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I have a Seagate Freeagent (not sure if its a GO' specifically) working fine on my iMac. Reformatted to GUID / HFS as per above instructions or some variant of.

7. natbarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

wow guys...thanks! your awesome...im on it right now!

8. natbarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Good to see you got it working. I have a Free Agent Go as well (which works just fine on a Mac) and the biggest problem with the Mac software is that you can't turn off the annoying yellow light that wraps around the entire drive unless you use the Windows version of the software.

10. connerfrei2 macrumors newbie

No HFS, journaled

I tried this too, but the only options I had to choose were Mac os Extended and a couple others. Is this the one I should select?

11. Rebel12 macrumors newbie

Formatting GoFlex Seagate External Harddrive

Following on from this post. I've done all of the above to format a seagate hard drive but it hasn't worked on my mac. It will allow me to erase using 'zero-out data' option. Is this an ok option to use to format my hard drive? Thanks