Problem installing second drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivancdp, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ivancdp macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I have a macbook pro 2013 and I bought a SSD and installed it, placing the original HD on the drive bay. It worked just fine. But as an engineer, I need some programs that are not available for OS X. Thus, I proceeded to install windows on my HDD, that is in the drive bay. I've had some problems and I found in some forums that Windows "likes" to Be installed in the main drive. So I opened up my macbook pro again, but this time I forgot to unplug the battery. When I was almost done, I was going to connect the microphone, then a sparkle jumped out and it felt like it was being welded, so I pulled it quickly. After I booted, the mac partition was really crappy, it couldnt load anything, but the microphone was still working. I switched back to the other position, SSD in the main drive and HDD in the optical drive, and then it came back to normal, but that way Windows won't boot. I have a picture of the damaged area, and I dont understand enough of hardware to say if that is bad or not.

1) Can someone with good hardware knowledge tell me what can go wrong now?

2) Since the SSD in the optical drive runs crappy and windows won't even boot, how should I have both OS in my computer?

Attached Files:

2. nlynch77 macrumors member

Lol I did the exact same thing by accident. You don't need to unplug the battery or any other connections, so long as the computer is turned off and not plugged in. That is close to your camera connector, so you should open up Photo Booth and make sure that it still works.
    Since your SSD feels weird now, you should read this article on the Apple Hardware Test. That will help rule out and logic board damage that your accident may have caused.

I used to have Bootcamp on my Optibay. It is extremely difficult to get it there, and even more difficult to keep it there in working order. I installed Bootcamp normally on my SSD, giving it as much space as I could afford. I then used Disk Utility to clone my SSD to my Optibay, then reformatted the extra OSx part (I used ExFAT, so that both Windows and Mac could read/write files to it) and removed Bootcamp from my SSD. That makes sure all of Bootcamp's necessary files and formatting is correct.

Alternately, you could temporarily install OSx on your hard drive, boot into the hard drive and use Bootcamp Utility to create your bootcamp, then erase the OSx part when you're done.

----------

Also, depending on the make of your SSD you may be forced to have it in the "proper" spot and to put the HDD where the CD drive used to be. My Crucial 128gb M4 didn't work in the Optibay slot at first, but over time seemed to start working. It is currently in the Optibay spot and I have a terabyte HDD in the "proper" place.

3. ivancdp thread starter macrumors newbie

The iSight is not working! Is this a simple problem to fix? I am going to take it to the apple store on Monday. Does my warranty cover that? Should I just come open and say what happened?
    Please help