Problem Installing Spore... Help needed.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dankeyes11, Feb 1, 2009.

1. dankeyes11 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased Spore to play on my MacBook Pro and I started the installation process. However, the installation bar gets stuck at 82 out 90 files installed. My laptop is brand new and I can't imagine that it wouldn't meet all the system requirements. I've tried ending the installation process and restarting my laptop and installing again, but it continues to freeze in the same place on the installation progress bar. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I will be monitoring the thread all night so feel free to ask me questions about my system and procedures and such.

Dan

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

what model is your MBP? and what are if you have any additional (different from factory defaults) specs?

3. dankeyes11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't tell you what model it is (sorry, not too experienced), but I can tell you that I bought it this summer (2008) and it has, I believe, 2 GB of ram, 250 GB hard drive, 2.4 GHz... Pretty much your typical Macbook Pro with some upgraded specifications. I don't know if that helps at all...

4. jaxonkohne macrumors member

ok... well if you go to the apple menu at the top left hand cornere of your screen ... go to the first one "about this mac" then click near the bottom of the window get more info... check your OS number... what are you running (OS 10.5.2, 10.4.11 etc?) then under the "hardware" pull down menu click the "graphics/displays" tell me what graphics card it says you have

5. jaxonkohne macrumors member

no sorry my apologies... the game wouldn't even start installing if you didn't have the proper specs... what i would do is go back to where you purchased the game.. tell them what is happening and they will give you a new one without an issue..

6. dankeyes11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, I'll have to do that then. Thank you very much for your help! I think I've just about had it with EA!

7. jaxonkohne macrumors member

i work at futureshop... and we see games come back ALL THE TIME with scratch's or defects soo.. im sure they'll give you a brand new one for free

8. jaxonkohne macrumors member

my pleasure to help... sorry for leading off on a tangent there.... if you get the game back home and it still doens;t work ... PM me and let me know.. ill walk you through trouble shooting it

9. dankeyes11 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. rogair macrumors member

The install took an abnormal amount of time on a clients computer for me. It got 'stuck' on the same spot for me too. You just have to be patient.

Hint: Check Activity Monitor to see if the install process is still using CPU cycles, that will give you an indicator to weather the install has frozen. This can be applied to any program that stalls.

Good Luck