Problem installing Tiger on my iMac G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cheese, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Is there a way to tell what the specific problem is with the following scenario? Can someone please help. I got the iMac G5 install and recovery discs that ship with an iMac G5. I have an iMac G5 (that shipped with Panther) and the tiger discs do not work. I get an "Alert you can not install these discs on this computer" message. I read somewhere that when you see this, a Firmware revision is in order. How do I know what Firmware I have and where to find the upgrade download? I did search, but this information is so old that it was purged from the files a few years back. Please help. Thank you.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It's possible that the discs you got are for another iMac G5 model. Each revision shipped with different install disks. so a iMac G5 rev. A disk won't work work with an iMac G5 rev. B.

Your best bet is to find a full install Tiger disk, or better yet, upgrade to Leopard (10.5) all G5's are supported under Leopard.

Don

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's somewhat more than possible...

No such luck. Buy a valid copy of Tiger or Leopard or whatever you want, or live with Panther.... Or buy a new Mac.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Wait, I just re-read your post, and you said that your iMac shipped with Panther, therefor there wouldn't be reinstall/restore disks with tiger for your model of iMac.

Don