Problem Installing Tiger to External Drive!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Dec 20, 2007.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, I'm running leopard on my macbook, but have a powermac G4 with new hard drives. I don't have a monitor, so what I did was boot into target disk mode (held down T) and inserted the tiger cd into my macbook. It saw the drive as an external drive, but said that it couldn't run an operating system (or whatever that error is). I need to install it asap. What are my options, how do I do it?

2. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Doesn't Tiger require a minimum of Firewire 400 to boot from an external drive?

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, I'm booting from my Macbook, my powermac is the one that is the target computer and I'm trying to install from my macbook

4. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Okay, I see the issue. I suggest you go to Costco (or any other outlet) and buy a monitor. Install Tiger on the Powermac and either keep or return the monitor. You'll need one at some point.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, I wanted to avoid that if possible. I'm simply throwing the computer on ebay, but alas, maybe ill take up that suggestion

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, so I tried to install it normally, after I borrowed a monitor and mouse from a friend. When I held down C to boot from the CD drive, it went to the apple screen with the hatched circle that kinda spins. Anyways, after awhile, it just shut off, and didn't boot to the cd. Any thoughts?