Problem installing Win7 on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meetster, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Meetster macrumors member

Okey, I have read now through several Threads, installation guides etc. Nothing could fix my problem yet.

Okay... I want to install Win7 Ultimate via Bootcamp.

1. Making the partition works fine
    2. inserting CD and initializing INSTALLATION works.
    3. When the installation comes up and i need to choose the partition for the Win7 installation, i choose the one i just made with BOOTCAMP in the name.
    4. then comes an error that the partition is not formatted right :S
    5. I can't insert a CD with drivers, i can't continue installtion etc nothing works.

Problem now is that i have to abort the installation or re-format the HD which makes the MBP to a Windows only machine with no drivers because the ****ing Superdrive won't spit out the DVD from Windows so I can't enter the Driver's CD.

Greets

Fredy

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You just need to reformat the partition that will have Win7 on it, not the whole HD.

3. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

Well sure i go to advanced option of the BOOTCAMP Partition not the entire HD. What I also have seen is that after formatting the BOOTCAMP Partition will no longer contain BOOTCamp in its name...

Yeah then the installation works. But at startup I can't choose the OS i want to startup. The ****ing thing will just startup Windows and therefore I can't install drivers, cause i have no internet to download them, can't put DVD in because there's the Win7 stuck XD since theres no driver for it ^^

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Here is what I did, and it works exactly as advertised. When it says it's not the right format, I clicked on the partition that was the same size as my bootcamp partition and formatted and installed on that. Once installation was complete, Win7 started, and I was able to eject the disk, and put in my OS X disk for the drivers. Then you can click reboot into Mac OS X from the boot camp control panel, or simply restart while holding the option key until your OS options come up. Then, go to startup disk in system preferences and make sure it is on your Mac partition to make OS X the default OS.

If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your install.

5. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

Here is what I did, and it works exactly as advertised. When it says it's not the right format, I clicked on the partition that was the same size as my bootcamp partition and formatted and installed on that. Once installation was complete, Win7 started,

UNTIL HERE I DID THE SAME :)

and I was able to eject the disk (doesn't work, no driver installed, it won't be shown in Explorer as drive) , and put in my OS X disk for the drivers. (can't do this because can't enter DVD) Then you can click reboot into Mac OS X from the boot camp control panel, or simply restart while holding the option key until your OS options come up. Then, go to startup disk in system preferences and make sure it is on your Mac partition to make OS X the default OS.

If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your install.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure exactly why it won't eject. I have a standard copy of win7 ultimate, and it has worked that exact way with using the standard eject key three times before installing drivers. Try restarting it while holding the mouse button down. That's the standard force eject command and should work regardless of what is in the drive.

7. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

Well okay when i could eject it with this metho but problem is it starts now into MacOS great... but can't switch back to Windows so can't install drivers there XD

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Try shutting it down, then hold the option key as you're pressing the power button. Hold it until two options come up, then arrow over to the windows option, and it should boot fine that way. You don't need the drivers to do that.

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think you're confusing yourself a little here. Yes, without drivers, the disc won't eject by you pressing the eject button on the keyboard. You will need to eject the disc from inside My Computer by right clicking the disc. Once you do that, insert your OS X disc, and the Boot Camp drivers should be there. Once you have that done, go on Windows update, and let that do its thing (there'll probably be a lot).

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This. I always have to right click the disk and select eject. Worked every time I've installed windows.

11. DudeMartin macrumors regular

I had the same problem. When I was installing Windows 7 and I had to choose a partition to install it in, when I chose BootCamp it said that the disk was not formatted correctly. After browsing a bit on my other computer, I found that you need to just click on the partition that does not work during the Windows 7 installation and just click 'Format.' That will convert the partition into the correct type so you can install Windows 7 in it. Worked for me :)

Hope that helps.

12. celina20 macrumors newbie

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    yes this happened to me also... i formatted the bootcamp in NTFS and hey preto win 7 installed smoothly