Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyleeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Hey guys. I have all 3 games of WoW in their retail discs (Original, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King) and I successfully installed the Original one. Once I was done, I put the disc for Burning Crusade in and when I click the .app for that, it only gives me the option to PLAY instead of INSTALL. I need to install up to Wrath of the Lich King and how come the INSTALL button is gone and the PLAY button is there instead? When I click the PLAY button, it tries to download the newest patches for me (which I don't want). This happens when I put the Wrath of the Lich King disc inside the DVD Rom drive as well. What am I doing wrong? Can somebody help me please? Thank you so much!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys. I have all 3 games of WoW in their retail discs (Original, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King) and I successfully installed the Original one. Once I was done, I put the disc for Burning Crusade in and when I click the .app for that, it only gives me the option to PLAY instead of INSTALL. I need to install up to Wrath of the Lich King and how come the INSTALL button is gone and the PLAY button is there instead? When I click the PLAY button, it tries to download the newest patches for me (which I don't want). This happens when I put the Wrath of the Lich King disc inside the DVD Rom drive as well. What am I doing wrong? Can somebody help me please? Thank you so much!

Start from the newest disc you have, in your case, Wrath Of The Lich King.

If you install WoW (original) first it will just install and update to the latest patches. If you install WOTLK first it will install that and everything before it.

Make sure to go onto Battle.net and register the expansions on your account too.

Also there is no way to avoid downloading the latest patches, you will have to update the game to whatever the latest version is to play. Although there will be content in it you can't access it will still have fixes for things you do have access to.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Also there is no way to avoid downloading the latest patches, you will have to update the game to whatever the latest version is to play. Although there will be content in it you can't access it will still have fixes for things you do have access to.

I second that. Even if you buy new discs you will still have to wait for updater to download a lot of files.

Unless you're messing around with private servers I recommend to download from Blizzard. Also, in updater preferences you can turn off bandwidth throttling which should help the download speed but should probably be used only if you're not going to play while it downloads.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
So if I understand correctly, if you have up to Cataclysm on DVD, you should only install Cata and not bother with the other discs. Then register the game online ?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
So if I understand correctly, if you have up to Cataclysm on DVD, you should only install Cata and not bother with the other discs. Then register the game online ?

Yeah, just use the cata disc for the install, all you need from the other boxes are the licence codes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.