problem logging in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smokeyjackson, Sep 3, 2012.

1. smokeyjackson macrumors newbie

hi i have a 2010 Macbook Pro 4GB Ram and up till now has been perfect then i updated to Moutain Lion, since then it has gone from booting up in under 30 seconds to taking 40 minutes to come on, so i removed the password because i thought it would boot up quicker, but it is still asking me for my password on startup and when i enter my password it doesnt work?? i need my Mac for work urgently so posting on here is my last resort before taking it to the Apple store to be charged a fortune to fix something they caused (and also charged me for the pleasure) i pay the extortionate extra money for Apple because i was sick of Microsoft letting me down but Apple seem to be no better, really hope someone can help and restore my faith in Apple.

regards

smokeyjackson@horwichtattoostudio

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you tried repairing permissions from Disk Utility? You may also have a corrupt user account, and since you have deleted the password, you could try creating another account and see if that helps.

Re-setting the SMC might also help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

3. smokeyjackson thread starter macrumors newbie

i havent tried anything yet, im a bit of a newbie when it comes to Macs, i googled how to disable password and it said enter old password then leave the next 2 boxes blank then press enter, which i did and it said are you sure you want to leave it blank? anybody will be able to use your mac (or words to that effect) so thats what i did and got up this morning waited 40 minutes for it to come on, then it still asked me for my password, i put my old password in and the box just shakes and gives me the hint for my old password, i left it blank then pressed enter it still wouldnt let me in, how do i try repairing permissions? thanks for your help

regards

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Disk Permissions Repair:

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/firstaid_3.htm

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-r boot (hold command and r keys down at same time). This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. Once there look in the Utilities menu for thr password reset utility and run that to reset the password, then restart.

Once you get it to restart and the new password is working and things look good, do a safe mode boot by holding the shift key as the system boots. It will boot very slow doing this, so just wait. This deletes all the system cache files and can sometimes fix a problem. Now reboot again and you are done.

6. smokeyjackson thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou Macman45 ive tried what you suggested and ive gone as far as change password which is in the tabs at the top (under file) and it asks me to select image for password, so im stuck as im unsure what to do next, this is the only option to do anything with the password i can find, thansk for your help

regards

7. CHMK macrumors regular

take it to the apple genii. maybe they can help.
    might be caused by junk in your computer maybe download something like ccleaner or cleanmymac to just get rid of gigs of junk?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

:eek: Ack... I gave you a bum steer. What I described was how to reset the admin PW in Snow Leopard. It changed starting with Lion. I apologize.

Here is a step by step how to do it in Lion and Mountain Lion.

10. smokeyjackson thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks anyway but none of that works either, im gonna bite the bullet and take it into the apple shop

regards