Problem logging into wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FranklinPirce, Mar 7, 2009.

1. FranklinPirce macrumors newbie

I have a white MacBook running OSX 10.5.6, and I have trouble connecting to wireless networks that require you to login.

Example: I'm in my school's library, I open up my macbook, connect to the wireless network, open up firefox, attempt to go to a web page, and get a message that says that I am offline instead of being directed to the wireless log-in page. This happens at every wireless location that requires you to login/buy a pass to access the internet. The only work around that I've found is to reboot my computer. I think the issue involves my computer retrieving the wireless network's DNS address. Is there a way I can force my computer to pull down the DNS address? I've tried manually entering the school's DNS IPs, but it doesn't seem to work all the time.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does this also happen with Safari?

Bear in mind that it takes a minute after connecting to a wireless network for the connection to work. I find with my iBook that I have to wait until the network name finishes scrolling across the top of the screen for the connection to work as it should.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Does this happen at home too? Or by login do you specifically mean a connection that requires you to login by redirecting you to a login page? Because I took it to mean requiring a password, i.e your home network. I've never tried my powerbook out like that, but it connects very quickly to my protected network in my home.

4. FranklinPirce thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean a connection that redirects you to a login page. I have no trouble actually connecting to a network.

It also happens with Safari.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong