Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Dear friends,

I have strange, I can call it problem, or irritating thing, after I upgrade my MacBook Pro 13.3" , model 7,1 with SSD 40 GB from OWC. I replaced the original 250 GB HDD with this one, and Original one I mounted with Data Doubler from OWC, instead of DVD/CD Rom.

So, Installation went so good, I formated SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), before installin from DVD ( Mac OS X 10.6.3 ), Installation went good at all. Later, I installed data doubler from OWC with original HDD shipped with Mac Book Pro ( 250 GB ), also I formatted it after installing in mac, on Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

At all, after Installing Mac OS X 10.6.3 and doing update to 10.6.6 , I have almost 25 GB Free on SSD, which is good.

Issue is, that from time to time my Mac is lag, like stopped, and after 10-15 sec I am able to move with cursor, or to switch between apps and so on. This is happening randomly.

Durring that time i see Marble of Doom ( color ball which is spinning )
sbbod.gif

Does anybody know what can be a problem, as really i was expecting just that my Mac will be faster and so on ( It is faster ofcourse, but this is so irritating ).

I attached to this post ( Info about Mac , and S-ATA ).

As You can see, in SSD is latest ver. of Firmware which OWC Published.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 3.35.52 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 3.35.52 AM.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 3.39.01 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 3.39.01 AM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 69

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Dear friends,

I have strange, I can call it problem, or irritating thing, after I upgrade my MacBook Pro 13.3" , model 7,1 with SSD 40 GB from OWC. I replaced the original 250 GB HDD with this one, and Original one I mounted with Data Doubler from OWC, instead of DVD/CD Rom.

So, Installation went so good, I formated SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), before installin from DVD ( Mac OS X 10.6.3 ), Installation went good at all. Later, I installed data doubler from OWC with original HDD shipped with Mac Book Pro ( 250 GB ), also I formatted it after installing in mac, on Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

At all, after Installing Mac OS X 10.6.3 and doing update to 10.6.6 , I have almost 25 GB Free on SSD, which is good.

Issue is, that from time to time my Mac is lag, like stopped, and after 10-15 sec I am able to move with cursor, or to switch between apps and so on. This is happening randomly.

Durring that time i see Marble of Doom ( color ball which is spinning )
sbbod.gif

Does anybody know what can be a problem, as really i was expecting just that my Mac will be faster and so on ( It is faster ofcourse, but this is so irritating ).

I attached to this post ( Info about Mac , and S-ATA ).

As You can see, in SSD is latest ver. of Firmware which OWC Published.

Firmware 343 has a lot of issues, you should contact OWC and have a 310 drive sent to you or have yours flashed to 310.

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I dont know if problem can be, because i switched default folder for Mozilla Firefox to second HDD ( 250 GB ) stock one, attached to datadoubler.... Also for a skype, i reverted that, so will test if maybe that is problem..

EDIT:

nope, problem still exist...

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I dont know if problem can be, because i switched default folder for Mozilla Firefox to second HDD ( 250 GB ) stock one, attached to datadoubler.... Also for a skype, i reverted that, so will test if maybe that is problem..

EDIT:

nope, problem still exist...

Apparently you skipped over my post...the problem is the 343 firmware.

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the Information, please can You tell me where I can download Firmware 310, as on their web they allow to download latest :(, which is not good. Is there any chance that I can make update from Mac OS X , or Disk Parallel on which I am running Windows XP.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for the Information, please can You tell me where I can download Firmware 310, as on their web they allow to download latest :(, which is not good. Is there any chance that I can make update from Mac OS X , or Disk Parallel on which I am running Windows XP.

Im not sure you can do it yourself, if you call them and explain your situation they may overnight a new drive with 310 to you so you have minimal downtime. I had to ship mine back to be flashed with 310 and it has worked perfectly ever since.

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I found this two :

Code:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/owc_ssd_firmware_tool_mp3.zip

and

Code:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/OWC_SSD_Firmware_Tool_MP2.zip

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks,

I will try and inform here, if there is any change, after upgrade.

Only issue is now I dont have DVD/CD Rom to install from my Windows 7 to Bootcamp :S, but will try to mount ssd from MBP to external housing for hdd and to attach to Windows 7 PC at home.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks,

Only issue is now I dont have DVD/CD Rom to install from my Windows 7 to Bootcamp :S, but will try to mount ssd from MBP to external housing for hdd and to attach to Windows 7 PC at home.

The only way to install Windows is with the superdrive internally installed...believe me I have tried every way possible.

ZlatanSa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I found 310,

it is in this file :
Code:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/OWC_SSD_Firmware_Tool_MP2.zip

MP2-310 Field.pkg

Jocelyn84

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks,

You'll have to do the install via your windows 7 PC internally, then put the SSD back in your Mac after the first win 7 installer reboot. Hold option during start up, choose windows, and it'll finish setup in your MBP. I finally did this today after trying to all kinds of external USB options over the past few days. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.