Problem MacBook Pro and WD NAS over WiFi.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slider78, Dec 28, 2010.

1. slider78 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I've just recently encountered an issue on my MacBook Pro running OSx 10.5.8. I am unable to access my WD My Book World Edition NAS over WiFi. Everything was working fine up until about a week ago. I can see it initially in Finder, but when I click on it it says connecting then disappears. I am at a loss as to what has changed other than a firmware update on my router to increase encryption to WPA2. I can access the internet no problem.

Also to confirm that the NAS is accessible over WiFi, my PS3 has no problem connecting to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 3fingerbrewing macrumors newbie

3fingerbrewing

When you access it are you accessing it via IP or the name "MyBook...." in the Finder?

I have some issues with a MyBookLive that I just bought where it is crappy slow via its' name in Finder....however if I map to it using the IP.... smb://192.168.1.10/tunes it is responsive.

Another question can you ping the IP of the NAS?

3. slider78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I think I have found an issue with my router. Coincidentally I did a firmware update just over a week ago and now this is happening. After I posted, I unplugged the NAS and reconnected, seemed to do the trick, but yesterday I lost my connection to the internet completely even over LAN. I contacted my ISP and confirmed that it wasn't a modem issue and bypassed the router completely. Internet came back. I decided to re-flash the firmware and do a reset of the router. I reconfigured my router settings and voila, everything was working again. That is until this afternoon when the MacBook couldn't connect with the NAS again. I unplugged the NAS as I did before and it was again accessible. This router is about 6-7 years old so I'm thinking that it may be a combination of age and possibly the firmware upgrade. Consequently I picked up a new Linksys E3000 today and will give that a try.

4. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

I gave up on the wd nas after 6 months of similar problems.
    Mostly the slow speed killed me so I just went back to external FireWire drives