Problem MacPro freezes, fans going wild

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xplicit3001, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Xplicit3001 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a problem with my mac pro (it's a 3/4 year old mac pro, dual xeon 2.8)
    I just updated some software (elgato eye tv from 3 -> 3.1, and newest firefox, and iwork 09)
    and the problem is that couple minutes after the system starts, it freezes, and the fans (all of them) just starts on full speed, and it sounds like my mac will lift off.
    After that i've turn it off, because i don't want nothing to overheat or something...
    If I turn it on again, it happens again.

What could be the problem?

I'm running windows now on it and there is no problem yet, so i thing it has to be a software problem. could it be a virus?

EDIT:
    It happend also on windows, after i've started soem software. so it must be hardware problem.
    Could it be RAM?

2. cxi2001 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Having similar problems with mine (see the thread above 'G5 Grey Screen issue') although it's an older G5. I did run software update recently and it updated my iWork too. Although i though my weirdness possibly started from when i began using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard again.

Try :
    1 - Reset the P-Ram
    2 - Run disk utility from the Leopard install disk and verify the HD and repair permissions.
    3 - I reinstalled Leopard, doing an archive and install, which may have helped although i haven't had a chance to use it for any length of time yet, to test.
    4 - I also ran the hardware test from the Techtools disk you get from Applecare. This didn't show anything.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Run the hardware diagnostics.

Hold down the D key when it's booting up and do the full extended test.

4. djjclark macrumors regular

The fans going full blast is a result of the system crash not a symptom. The fans turn on full blast to prevent damage to the system when temperature control is lost or not available (like on startup).

5. cxi2001 macrumors newbie

There seems to be a lot of people having these issues on the G5 forum in Apple support. Including me. What's happened recently - have all our PPC G5's been programmed to die this February ?!

6. Xplicit3001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answers

I've ran the full (1,5h long) hardware diagnostic and the memory test with Rember software, and both said that everything is ok.
    After that there was no more problem with freezing, until recently, when my macpro just rebooted (did not freeze, no sound form fans) while i was working on win xp. then it rebooted twice again, and when it came to osx everything was just fine again.

weird

I noticed while i was running HW diagnostics, that the loud fans was form the main board/processors

got some more ideas?

7. rylin macrumors 6502

Run memtest86+ for 24 hours and see what happens.
    Shorter timeframes are doable, but you should let it run two full passes at a minimum.

8. Xplicit3001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i ran the HW diagnostics 5 times in a row, no problem found.
    Then 19 hours ago I booted with memtest86+ and i'm still running the test for, 19 cycles passed and also reports that everything is ok.

I'll try to run it back to os x and to see if it crashes again.

Before the tests I cleaned the interior a little with vacuum cleaner, but there was only a little dust, but i couldn't reach to clean the processor's heat sinks.
    Also i changed the power source (different electric wall plug).
    I don0t think that any of this could be responsible for the errors, but, you never know...

got some more ideas?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to take it to Apple.

10. djjclark macrumors regular

Not knowing the full details but are you running both windows and os x from the same hard drive? If so and seeing crashes in both situations might mean your HD is getting ready to give it up. Other then that it might be time to talk to Apple.

11. Xplicit3001 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, both systems are on the same drive.
    i'll copy the drive just in case. but if that would be the problem, why would the fans start to spin so fast?

12. djjclark macrumors regular

This is a safety oriented failure by design. If the system cant tell the fans what speed to run at the fans default to high speed to prevent chip melt down. You see this on bootup as the fans get power they go highspeed and when the EFI gets loaded they are then under control. Most OS crashes are not hard enough to knock the EFI offline but on occasion it can happen.