Problem moving data to my new mac, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Leoso, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Leoso macrumors newbie

I got a new iMac, but I can't move my old data to it from my old iMac. Both running Yosemite. Both are connected to my wireless network as is my Time Capsule (used as router and back up disk of the old iMac).

I followed this article:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5872

I opened Migration Assistant in my new iMac trying to transfer the information from my Time Capsule, selected to transfer information "from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk" but after that, I get a searching... that never ends. Its like my new iMac can't find the Time Capsule that provides the wireless network at which my new iMac is connected.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Connect the two Macs with a Firewire and use Migration Assistant that way. I would think it'll be a lot quicker.

3. Leoso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding!

I don't have a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable and it seems that the late 13 iMac doesn't have a FireWire port, and my old iMac doesn't have a Thunderbolt port.

4. jacqueg macrumors member

But they each have a usb port. If you don't have an external usb drive, can you borrow one from a friend? Backup the old machine with TimeMachine, then connect the backup drive to your new machine.

I recently did this myself. The time estimate for the wireless transfer was 14 hours. The external drive transfer took less than 2.

5. Leoso thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea, thanks!

It seems everything is working now, I turned off and then on my Time Capsule (did this before and it didn't work, however this time it did) and now my new iMac found it and its transferring the information, thanks again for the responses!