Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I got a new iMac, but I can't move my old data to it from my old iMac. Both running Yosemite. Both are connected to my wireless network as is my Time Capsule (used as router and back up disk of the old iMac).

I followed this article:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5872

I opened Migration Assistant in my new iMac trying to transfer the information from my Time Capsule, selected to transfer information "from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk" but after that, I get a searching... that never ends. Its like my new iMac can't find the Time Capsule that provides the wireless network at which my new iMac is connected.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Leoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for responding!

I don't have a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable and it seems that the late 13 iMac doesn't have a FireWire port, and my old iMac doesn't have a Thunderbolt port.

jacqueg

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks for responding!

I don't have a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable and it seems that the late 13 iMac doesn't have a FireWire port, and my old iMac doesn't have a Thunderbolt port.

But they each have a usb port. If you don't have an external usb drive, can you borrow one from a friend? Backup the old machine with TimeMachine, then connect the backup drive to your new machine.

I recently did this myself. The time estimate for the wireless transfer was 14 hours. The external drive transfer took less than 2.

Leoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Good idea, thanks!

It seems everything is working now, I turned off and then on my Time Capsule (did this before and it didn't work, however this time it did) and now my new iMac found it and its transferring the information, thanks again for the responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.