Problem moving from Time Machine to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by self, Dec 12, 2014.

1. self macrumors regular

I'm trying to move my Time Machine backup from an external USB drive to a new Time Capsule.

First I followed the instructions from here from 2010:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1146085/migratebackups.html

Basically, aborting a backup on the TC, then doing a Restore with Disk Utility from my Time Machine volume to the sparsebundle volume. After about 3 days, it finished, but the verification failed with:
    Restore Failure
    Could not restore - Invalid argument

Which from the log, appears to be because the checksums didn't match.

Next I tried the instructions from here:
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-migrate-time-machine-backups-to-a-new-drive/

Although supposedly it's no longer necessary to use a "Copy Exactly" anymore. When I try doing that, the copy immediately fails with "the volume has the wrong case sensitivity".

Indeed, it appears that the TC is formatted as "Case-sensitive, Journaled" and my original TM backup is simply "Journaled", which I thought was recommended. I tried erasing the TC (with AirPort Utility) and there was no change in the format.

So now I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I do the first method again, and ignore the checksum error? Or try the second method again, by doing a regular drag-and-drop copy, even though the case-sensitivity of the volumes is different?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My assumption is that you want the old data prior to the current date just in case you discover an old corrupted file, or inadvertent deletion. Hence... the object is to preserve old deep versioning.

Maybe the simplest would be to start the backup fresh onto the new TC, and store the old destination HDD away for any restore that may be necessary prior to the current date.

If you have an existing second backup method in place (ex: I have Crashplan), then you can probably choose to just rely on that for the same purpose. Example: Crashplan has versioning that goes back to the beginning of time... and will never remove files from the backup destination that have been deleted. It is a very powerful way to cover deep versioning requirements.

A third option is to continue to keep using your existing Time Machine backup destination in conjunction with the new Time Capsule. Time Machine will continue to back up to both by alternating destinations for each backup cycle.

/Jim

3. self thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for trying to help, but I was really looking for a solution to my problem, not alternatives. Motivation-wise yes, I was trying to preserve deep versioning, with a single Time Machine backup.

I haven't had time to look at this again until now, but if it helps someone else: the problem was that the sparsebundle on the Time Capsule needed to be erased and reformatted with the same format as the old backup on my external drive (Case-insensitive, Journaled). The other gotcha is that you have to re-enable ownership after the reformat, even if you have already enabled it before the reformat. The ownership doesn't show up in a finder info but you can use:

diskutil enableOwnership /dev/<your disk device here>

I also spent awhile trying to convert the TC backup to an encrypted sparsebundle, and may have succeeded, but I didn't trust it, so started over and made it unencrypted.