problem..need help. audio interface or the new macbook pro 15

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by koban4max, Oct 31, 2013.

1. koban4max macrumors 68000

Hey guys...let me give you a little background.
    I have macbook pro 15'' 2011 8gig ram...(late 2011)

i also have mac pro 2009 2.66 quad core....8 gig ram...

I have 2300 grand to spend...on either audio interface apollo universe duo core with optional thunderbolt....and has 800 wire fire. Actually the price that i was offered for new unopened....is 1600...NOT BAD AT ALL....

However, I was thinking of getting macbook pro 15'' with 8 or 16 gig with 750m graphic card...(if that is what it is..) for 2600...(i know it's little over my budget..but i get can support from family member).....

Which should i get? i have m-aduio 410...currently...but i feel it's time to upgrade. Not sure which one to pick? I wish i can get both...but that's not realistic. need suggestions with details/rationale... not simple yes or not..please....thank you.

2. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

What is the problem you are trying to solve? What do you want to do that you can not do today? That is how you decide on equipment upgrades.

Change the audio interface if you need more inputs. I can't see how changing the MacBook out for a new one would improve your system. Buy a larger monitor, like a Dell 27" That will be better then a 15" screen which is still to small.

If the current Mac Bok is to slow swap the hard drive for an SSD

If the audio quality of the m-audio 410 is not as good as you want buy an stand alone preamp.

Bottom line is that you can't fix a problem you can't identify. So clearly even if just for yourself write down what it is you can't do.

4. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

my problem comes down to investment for the future...I mean..
    I want to make sure which ever choice i make would remain strong for the next who know how many years. it's crazy...i mean UAD interface is yummy to my tummy...so to speak...due to high quality in many aspect....and then i see rmbp 15"....which investment would you make?
    I agree that there has to be a problem in order to fix...but this is more... investment...not sure i'm talking hahah.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

So you have no need for any of this now? Then you best investment is to keep the money in some saving account and wait until you need a new computer.

NEVER buy a computer for future use. a computer is a CONSUMABLE and is not an investment. Figure that a Mac has a useful life of about three years and then it is worth half what you paid for it at best. Hardly an "investment"

So it is NOT an "investment" it is a "capital expense". The best way in spend on a computer is to wait as long as you can and buy a new machine. Buying one before you need it only starts that three year clock ticking early.

6. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I agree on the whole identify the problem and fix that idea. Computers and interfaces are terrible "investments" unless the change ail really help you make something you wouldn't otherwise. I second the monitor idea and throw in another: good mics. Upgrading your mics can really help, and they're not likely to depreciate in value like the computer or interface will.

That being said - the UAD is drool-worthy. :)

7. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

DUDE>..lol i'm saving to get that..LOL...i'm ready to buy it...but not sure if i should get it form store or from craigslist....:eek:

8. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I've had preamps go out on a couple different interfaces(not UAD). I'd be hesitant to buy a used one, personally.

9. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

i gotta get UAD asap...:)

----------

true to that.:eek:

10. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Your current computers are definitely powerful enough for recording. If you find them slow for whatever reason, get a SSD and still record to an external hard drive. I would definitely get the UAD if I were you.

11. woeiskevin macrumors member

woeiskevin

As far as computers go you are set for the next couple years. Yes new and up to date computers are nice to have but unless something happens to them and it's important to get a new one don't buy a new one. Instead invest in audio equipment for your studio like that UAD Apollo or mics you don't have and may wanna test and see if you like them. Or save in a savings account of some sort like Chris said to do

12. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

yes SIRRR...got me a quad the other day...:D

----------

yeah..i figured people would say that...it's only 2011...late version...so why not invest something more important...:)