Problem on 3GS, need to revert to 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PittsDriver, Aug 22, 2010.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

OK so I was getting ready to sell my 3GS and it needed to be jailbroken and unlocked. I had already done this so no big deal. I go to reset and erase all content to ship it out and the phone did its thing for about 10 min then froze on the start screen. I tried hard resetting it several times but it didn't work. I left it for over 2 hours and nothing helped so I had no choice but to restore to 4.0.2. I am pretty sure I have an SHSH blob stored on Cydia for 4.0.1, I know for 4.0. How do I revert back? Or has there been any method to JB 4.0.2? I have a Mac and PC so I can use anything you guys have in mind.

Thanks.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There's currently no way to jailbreak 4.0.2 on the 3GS with the newer bootrom (what week was yours manufactured in?*), and Apple doesn't allow any of their iDevices to go back to an earlier software version anymore (trying will just result in a restore error).

For future reference, the "erase all content and settings" thing also removes the software, so even if it had all gone properly you would have still been forced to update to 4.0.2 for the phone to work again, which would put you back into this predicament.

*If it was before week 42 of 2009 then you should still be able to jailbreak by downloading the original 4.0 software (I had to download the final beta for some reason) and put that through redsn0w and it will easily jailbreak a device running 4.0.2 - this is ONLY for the old bootrom though.

3. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Then why do we store SHSH blobs with Cydia then?

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well not necessarily. OP, check your serial number, and see what week it was made. If it was made before week 42 like Ivan P said, you can jailbreak it on 4.0.2, and it'd be the best solution. Then you'd have a bootrom jailbreak, you can put a custom boot logo the buyer may want, and they won't be bugged by iTunes to upgrade

7. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

It is a week 21, how do I go about the JB on 4.0.2?

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can't as already explained in this thread. If you have your SHSH blobs stored in Cydia for 4.0.1 or 4.o, you downgrade and then jailbreak. There is no jailbreak for 4.0.2 and this version will be skipped until 4.1.

9. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Ok it's back on 4.0.1 and working perfectly! Thanks everyone for the help!