problem on my macbook pro 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loneranger76, Aug 31, 2012.

1. loneranger76 macrumors newbie

hey guys i recently bought a macbook pro 15" 2012 model. and installed a 120 gb samsung ssd and 16 gb corsair vengeance ram.

after installing the osx on it, i realized something named sleepimage is taking up over 16 gb of space. and when i check my harddrive status, the space is slowly getting eaten away.

i dont kno what the problem is. please help guys.

2. kjlake macrumors member

sleepimage is a file that is created when you let the macbook sleep so that it can restore its state when it resumes. it is normal for this file to exist, but you can turn it off in terminal if you wish

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

It's the safe sleep image. I disabled mine and have no issues. The size of the file depends on how much ram you have, thus it being so big.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Google is your friend......

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/11/sleepimage-mac/

5. loneranger76 thread starter macrumors newbie

also every 10 seconds when i check my hard drive status, space is slowly being eaten away. what is this problem? i only have 128 gb so i have to conserve as much as i can

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I went to this link. Please tell me if this file is only written to Hard Drives and not SSD Drives. Since I only have a SSD do I have a sleep image file?

7. loneranger76 thread starter macrumors newbie

think it affects all drives idk. but can someone answer me why the osx is slowly eating away at my harddrive

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have Time Machine turned on?

Go to About this Mac under the Apple button at the top left, then More Info, then storage tab and look at the Backups like in my screen grab. What do you see?

What you are seeing there is mobile backups. If you are away from your Time Machine destination the system spools backups to a hidden /Mobilebackups folder. It can be useful if you need to restore a version of a document while away from your Time Machine drive.

Don't worry about it. OS X manages this space and if the user needs more space for data/files OS X will automatically shrink the mobile backups area.

You can zero it out by turning Time Machine off then back on.

If you want to permanently turn this off enter "sudo tmutil disablelocal" (without the quotes) in Terminal.

[​IMG]

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

This pertains to all drives. I disabled mine in terminal to free up space and have had no issues.

I just told you and provided a link that explains sleep image and why it uses drive space. In the link it tells you how to disable it with a command in terminal.

Weaselboy also brings up a good point. TM creates a screen shot of your information and stores it on your drive. If you turn off TM the space should free up. Or you can use the terminal command to turn off mobile backups, which is what I did.