Problem opening 2.5GB image file!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markcres, Jul 2, 2009.

1. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

Hi Folks,

I have a high resolution satellite image of Malta.. which is in Windows .BMP format. It is just over 2.5GB in size !

I tried to open this on my PC and re-save as a JPG... but of course it crashed :mad:

Thinking my Intel MAC (with 25GB free space and 2GB RAM) would do better I have found that I can't open it with GIMP/Photoshop Elements/Preview as each creates an error message (either not enough memory or simply causes a crashed app)

All I want to do is convert it into a JPG to pare down the size... can anyone recommend an app that will do this without necesarily trying to load and display the whole image ??

Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Don't get angry. Use GraphicConverter.

4. markcres thread starter macrumors 6502

markcres

Thanks.. but I couldn't get the PATH variables to export.. and I reached my threshold for command line tinkering (which is usually about 5 mins!).

Thanks.. but GraphicConverter threw up an error saying it's limit is 2GB !

the quest continues.....

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Can Quicktime open it? Have you seen it actually open? Maybe the file is corrupt?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Don't really much help but Google's Satellite view might be of similar resolution.

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

you need more ram...

how can you open up a 2.5 gigabyte file with 2 gb of ram?

8. kolax macrumors G3

Not familiar with disk swapping (virtual memory)..?

9. markcres thread starter macrumors 6502

markcres

I don't believe it is corrupt.... all the error messages I got within Windows apps said I was out of memory !

Most computers since the early 1990s have been able to use hard drive space as virtual RAM - called disk swapping

10. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

When needed, the system will dynamically allocate additional virtual memory so there is no need for users try to tamper with how the system handles additional memory needs. However, there is no substitute for having additional physical RAM. This only works if you have several files associated with a program.

How do you do disk swapping on a mac or turn on virtual memory?

Macs do it automatically.

11. kolax macrumors G3

It already is "on".

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I do know of one program that could do it, but may be a pain to get setup. I've opened 4GB+ images in it though and it has command line tools to convert to other formats. The program is called OSSIM (pronounced awesome) that is for geospatial imagery like what you're dealing with. I'll need to wait till I'm back at my Mac to figure what specifically you need to download, but you can check it out if you want.