Problem opening wsj.com from work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adr1974, Jul 24, 2014.

1. adr1974 macrumors regular

Completely confused. Just got a new rMBP 15...works great. Only issue I find is that I can open wsj.com from home, but not from work. Every other site...no problem. It's not a firewall issue, it's not a browser issue (it fails with safari, chrome, etc). I've reset safari, and it will connect once, but then when I try to open an article, I get the same, "Safari can't open the page online.wsj.com...because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again." Site opened fine from work on my 13 MBA, and opens fine on my work PC...no idea what the issue is. Any help is much appreciated!

One other thing...when I open Windows 7 using VMWare and try to open WSJ using Chrome, it works totally fine...

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Parental controls maybe??? Have you tried:

Resetting Safari?
    Accessing it from another user account?

3. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Parental controls are off. I did reset Safari (didn't work)...also tried logging in from guest account (also didn't work).

It's gotta be a network setting somewhere...just have no idea how to figure it out.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Hmmm but I can't think where such a setting would be that would be specific to a particular browser and website.

Do you connect via WiFi at both locations?

5. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

I do...and were I to get off the corporate wi-fi and use my iPad as a hotspot, I'd be totally fine.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Then your corporate wifi is blocking the connection. If it works everywhere else except on that hotspot, then the hotspot is to blame.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can anyone else at work access the site?

Final thought is that your corporate may have had a subscription that has expired and WSJ is blocking some or all of the ip range you are appearing on???

I'm assuming your work PC is on a wired connection so may appear to WSJ to have a different ip, or it could be your corp WiFi hotspot is deliberately blocking it, can't explain why your 13" then connects though...

----------

Hmm but read his comment about his PC at work being ok, as is his 13" MBP....?

8. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't know why I didn't try this sooner. Just unplugged the LAN on my work PC, forcing it to wi-fi...and couldn't connect to WSJ. So something with the wi-fi and not unique to my rMBP...

----------

BTW, appreciate the help -- thanks guys.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Bingo :)

10. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I missed that, my bad.

If another PC can access it on the same connection then there are two possibilities.

1. A unique rule has been setup for that specific laptop to block that page (unlikely).
    2. Something on that laptop is doing.

It's pretty safe to assume #2.

First thing is do you have any proxies or anonymoizers installed. If not, maybe your host file or DNS server is corrupt/incorrect.

If you open a terminal window and type "nslookup wsj.com" what do you get? A correct result should be as follows:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: wsj.com
    Address: 205.203.132.1
    Address: 205.203.132.65
    Address: 205.203.140.1
    Address: 205.203.140.65

11. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

i get the following:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Address: 205.203.132.65
    Address: 205.203.140.1
    Address: 205.203.140.65
    Address: 205.203.132.1

Only thing I can think of is that something over the weekend changed at work....

12. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

And what happens if you navigate directly to one of those IP addresses?

13. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Same message as before (Safari can't open the page...)