Problem persists in OS X but not Vista!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coday182, Aug 19, 2007.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Ok i just moved in to my dorm room and I am having a problem connecting my macbook to the internet/network. We don't get wireless in the dorm rooms, unless we make it ourselves, so I have to use an ethernet cable. Whenever I use the cable, network diagonstics says that it is not connected to an ethernet. At first i thought there was either a problem with the cable, or the ethernet port on either my computer or on the wall. I tried a few cables which worked for my room mate so that wasn't the problem. When all else failed, I booted into vista to see what happened, clicked internet explorer, and the internet just worked. I am glad to know that my ethernet port isn't broken, but i would much rather be able to do my work in OSX (it would suck if I had to rebuy office for windows). So does anyone know what to do?

2. ke2000 macrumors member

Check the ip is self assigned or given by DHCP server. You could go and check in network in system preferences. If it says connect and ip is given by DHCP server then you may have to check the network manual and fill up proxy server address.