Problem playing certain DVDs on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dallew, Jan 2, 2009.

1. dallew macrumors newbie

I got two DVDs at christmas and they were the first I'd tried on my DVD player. I tried one and it basically runs until the menu where it stalls, and you can only press Menu on the DVD player controls, not the screen, from which you can navigate to other episodes but you can't access special features, use audio commentary etc. I tried the other DVD I got but that worked alright after I wiped it down. The first DVD still stalled after cleaning. So I had it replaced and yet when I got a new one the exact same problem occurred, it stalled at exactly the same point.

Any thoughts?

Side note, they are region 2 DVDs, I had my Macbook set to region 2.

2. 4Torrenty macrumors newbie

Have you tried using another media player? I would try burning the movies to your HD then watching it. I'm curious to know if it's your CD/DVD Drive or if it's DVD Player.

3. dallew thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it on VLC. Same problem, though VLC is worse because even when you navigate to the episodes it shuts down.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Would you be able to test out the DVDs and see if they work on a different player?

5. dallew thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than the regular Mac player and VLC? Do you know of any good ones?

I have a regular "hard" DVD player, but that only reads region 1s.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are they legit copies? If so, try and get them exchanged at the store they were purchased from.

7. dallew thread starter macrumors newbie

They are legit, I got them from Amazon, and have already replaced the one faulty DVD, but have had the exact same problem. It stalls at the exact same point as the DVD menu loads up, every time. Even on VLC, same problem.

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah, by a different player, I meant either a different computer, or a standalone DVD player. Maybe see if the DVDs work in a different computer?