Problem preparing MacBook for sale

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scrob, Jul 20, 2011.

1. scrob macrumors member

Hi guys

I am currently preparing to sell my 2007 MacBook and I have a problem - the boot disk is OSX Tiger but the MacBook has since been upgraded to Snow Leopard. However I have lost the Snow Leopard upgrade disk :(

Is there any way to format the computer and start afresh with Snow Leopard if I don't have the disk? I don't want to have to pay for a Snow Leopard disk as I already plan on paying to upgrade it to Lion, and it cannot be upgraded to Lion straight from Tiger afaik.

Am I being thick? Please help!

Rob

2. scrob thread starter macrumors member

Ok I think I have a solution, I will make a Lion boot disk on USB and use that to reformat the MacBook.

Will that solve my problem?

3. iRyno macrumors newbie

Yes. Once you download Lion go to applications and right click the installer. Choose "Show Package Contents". Then navigate to Contents folder then to Shared Support. Look for a file named "InstallESD.dmg". Burn that image and your good. :)

4. innocentsheep macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I did to my Macbook that was running Tiger. Worked perfectly.

5. lordmac macrumors regular

I just did the same thing very successfully (formatted a mac I want to sell and installed lion on it) now is there anyway to reinstall the copy of ilife '11 I bought for the computer without creating a user account (I want to leave the mac so it runs the setup assistant and everything for the person I am selling it too)

- Thanks

6. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Do as lordmac suggests.

7. Sonhascome macrumors 6502