Problem Printing to Windows PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isianto, May 18, 2007.

1. isianto macrumors regular

Dear all,
    I have a strange problem with printing on the printer that windows shares.
    I added the printer,chose the driver and print correctly, at least according to the cups log. but the printer never print and on the windows pc that share the printer never receive any jobs from my mac. I'm using macosX Tiger (with the newest update). I'm new to mac. Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This support article by Apple pertains to being unable to connect to the printer, which isn't technically your problem. However it has some very handy troubleshooting techniques which may still apply for you. :)

3. Winterfell macrumors regular

I've been having a very similar problem. I was able to browse to and install the printer easily, but when I try and print something it sends the document to the printer queue (at least my Mac thinks so), but it never goes through successfully.

Thanks for the article mad jew -- hopefully it'll help us out.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Winterfell, are you using the appropriate driver on the Mac? Often people forget that they must install or select the driver on the Mac as well as the PC. Also, sometimes the manufacturer's driver is a bit dodgy and using a generic driver can work better (sometimes). Good luck. :)

5. Winterfell macrumors regular

I've made sure that I've selected the driver that exactly matches the printer I have downstairs. HP DeskJet 5150.

It will send the document-to-be-printed to the "printing queue" on my Mac, but then it will just sit there with a red exclamation mark, as if it were aborted, but I'll be damned if I can find any sort of information beyond that. :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, try the solutions in my earlier link and if they don't work, then try using the generic CUPS driver. :)