Problem re-installing tiger, help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jayson24, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jayson24 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have browsed the forums and haven't found an answer to my problem and I was hoping someone could help me. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I have a recent iMac, a 2.16GHZ intel core 2 duo, and I am having trouble re-installing tiger.

Here is the story. I received a copy of Leopard for xmas, what I thought was the version that allowed installation on up to 5 computers. I installed it on my macbook, no problems, then I installed it on my iMac and it worked, but my computer became slightly sluggish. I talked to the person who got it for me and they said that it was the basic model that only allowed installation on one computer. I was suprised that it actually worked on my iMac, but I thought that this could be the problem.

So, understanding that I accidentally did the wrong thing, I decided to re-install tiger.

Now here lays my problem. I can install the first disk, no worries. But then it asks for the second disk. I install it, it gets about 3/4 of the way through installing and it says "There was a problem installing your software" and asks me to install it again.

I can't boot up my computer because it is currently stuck asking for the second disk to re install, but no matter how many times I try, it encounters problems installing the software, at different times.

I have checked and the disk is scratch free and clean.

I turn to the forum mac experts! Please help!

Thanks!

Jayson

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....first of all, kudos to you for actually respecting the license agreement. Having said that, installing 10.5 on a second computer with that disc is not the cause of the 'sluggishness' you perceived. The retail package for a single user license is *exactly* the same as for the 5 user license except for a little slip of paper that is added to the "family pack" as an addendum to the license agreement.

So then, looking at the 10.4 re-install problem...the first thing that comes to mind is naturally that you've got a bad disc. Though it shows now visible problems it still is more than likely the issue. Had you ever used the disc before? (I am guessing you have not since it was pre-installed on the iMac?). If that's the case then you should be able to contact Apple (or go to the Apple Store if you have one near by) and get a replacement...oh yeah!

3. dunstablian macrumors newbie

Dunstable, UK, home of the true time bandit!
    I went from leopard to tiger because of issues with leopard, i did a complete erase and re-installed the tiger software again, some say you dont need to do that but if you back everything up before hand then it is not a problem, and probably a safer route, but go with the first issue as mentioned in last quote, could very well be disc problems. good luck

4. jayson24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you to both of you for your help.

I think I will have to give apple a call as I already tried the erase and install option.

Hopefully all turns out well!

Thanks again.