Problem Reading CDs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aevynn, Nov 4, 2007.

1. aevynn macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm using a Macbook Pro and am now running Leopard. And I've begun having problems reading CDs...
    I don't use CDs very often so I don't know if it could have happened right before the Leopard upgrade, but I do know that I had used CDs before I upgraded on my laptop.
    Strangely, DVDs seem to work just fine. The Leopard install DVD works just fine, as do a couple of movies I have with me. But I've tried 4 different CDs, and none of them show up on my desktop. I hear the disc spinning for a little bit, and then it stops and nothing happens. I tried to leave the disc in there for quite a while too (like 15-20 minutes) and nothing happened, so I don't think it's just being slow or something. I'm not sure what to do. Help?

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Data or music CD?

Check your settings in System Preferences > CDs & DVDs, and ensure that the proper choices are selected for the CD options.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sounds like bad disks to me. Did you check and see if they are damaged? Try burning a blank CD-R too...

4. aevynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Um I've tried with a few different games, so I guess those would be data CDs? They're games that worked just fine on my laptop before I upgraded.

And I tried to put the discs into a friend's laptop (running Windows XP), and they worked just fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the preferences, I've attached a picture of the window.

Attached Files:

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, those are the correct settings.

I would try some different CDs. Perhaps a music CD, a blank CD, and a normal data CD (for example, one filled with photo, if you have one) and see if it recognizes those.

6. aevynn thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried putting in a couple of audio CDs and they worked. Also, strangely, a friend's Sony Walkman CD (which doesn't even have Mac compatibility) showed up on my desktop. I don't really have any other kinds of CDs that I can try...

7. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I feel your pain.
    In my case my macbook drive is only reading select cd/dvds.
    Initially it worked well installing leopard, over the weekend I did an erase and install and it had problems installing. Kept getting getting errors from "disk cannot be read please clean" to "unable to install essential pkg, please contact manufacturer". Went to my apple store, they swapped out my copy and I get the same problems.

I finally got leopard installed, I tried to load windows via Parallels and my computer will not read my windows disk. Tried with bootcamp, same thing. It cannot read windows disk. So I've been trying CDs and some work, and same with DVDs. Only certain ones will work.
    Any suggestions other than sending it to apple for repair??

-jd

8. un1ty macrumors member

I had a similar problem with my MBP except that it was the opposite. It would read CD's but not DVD. I brought it in to the genius bar yesterday. All they had to do was shutdown the computer, remove the battery, and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Then he reset the PRAM. It read DVD's fine after that.