Problem reading music scores with Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Sep 11, 2015.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Some of my sheet music appears like this in Preview:

[​IMG]

As you can see some of the lines are missing. If I zoom in then they are displayed correctly but then I can't see a lot of the score at once. I have tried different settings and it doesn't make a difference. When I open the files in Chrome they display fine. It's not just one file, many sheet music files are like this.

Any ideas?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What I see is the top of the sheet music is not shown because the page is scrolled about 1/4 of the way down.

3. ghellquist macrumors regular

Hi Bingefeller.
    I see this as well.
    For those that does not know, the top line in each pair (the one with a stylised G to the left) has five horizontal lines, as in the third pair. Preview does not show these in the example. It is even worse in the bottom line in each pair, with TAB to the left. Each of the has 6 horizontal lines (trying to represent the six strings on a guitar).

I believe this is because preview tries to be smart and hide some graphics. If you zoom out far enough most PDF files would turn into a mostly black mess. The preview program tries to remove some black in order for the white to come through. The programmers that did the smart programming clearly did not consider the effect on music sheets. If you zoom in the line reappear, but then you lose seeing the full sheet.

The only suggestion I can give is to try other programs to display this kind of PDF-s.

// GUnnar

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks GUnnar.

I will just stick with Chrome to open my sheet music PDFs that have this problem.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Skim pdf reader might work for you. I do not read sheet music so I do not know if it will work any better, but it might.

6. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I will download and see :)