Problem rebooting Leopard while using FileVault

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vawolf, Jul 22, 2009.

1. vawolf macrumors member

Hello,

I'm on a black MacBook 12" with 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Dou and 2GB RAM, and running Leopard 10.5.7. My issue:

I have FileVault activated. When I reboot, the FileVault window tells me it's "Preparing..." then "Backing Up..." before starting to recover disk space. Then it takes a looooong time to do this "backup"...one time I let it be and it took over an hour. But this didn't use to be the case. Anything I can do fix this?

A more general question: do you recommend I keep using FileVault? I've read that once you turn it on it's extremely difficult to turn it off.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you had deleted files from your user account last time you were logged in, FileVault does need to take some time to take a look at the encrypted image and determine what it no longer has to allocate to the dynamically changing sparsebundle. Not sure there is anything to fix as long as you haven't noticed any glitching after it finishes logging in.

I work in the tech business with Macs and I always tell clients "unless you work in a military installation or have particularly sensitive customer data or are required to walk around with this computer handcuffed 24-7, you're probably better off with FileVault off." Apple has an article about Filevault if you haven't already read it.