Problem redirecting Documents folder to AD home folder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by palan, Feb 19, 2012.

1. palan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I work in a large educational environment, and we are going to update to Lion in the next few weeks (we need to in order to run the latest version of xcode)

Currently, we have the golden triangle setup in place (with AD and a 10.6 mac server). when a student logs on, a script runs in the background (a launch agent calls this script) to redirect folders in their profile to another location on the hard drive (i.e. movie, pictures and music folders) and set the desktop to be read only (helps with file management). we also redirect their documents folder to their Active directory Home folder. This all works well in 10.5 and 10.6, but having tested 10.7.3, it doesnt seem to allow the practice of redirecting the documents folder. In the console, it throws up an error message of "operation not permitted". We dont have any problems with redirecting the music, pictures and music folders.

Just to give an overview, in setting up the machine, we create a custom user profile and replace the system profiile (system/library/user templates/English.lproj) with the custom one. This generally gets around the problem of having permission to remove the documents folder and creating a symbolic link that points to the users home folder. It works ok when removing the music, pictures and movies folder (by running the rm -rf command to remove these folder) and then run the command ln -f -s (along with a few other switches) to create a symbolic link for each of these folders to point them to a hidden folder on the root of the drive.

This basically allows us to thrash the profile when the user logs out. we run another script on logout that will remove data in redirected folders that has not been modified in over 90 days (just to clear up old data)
    We advise our students to save everything in their documents folder, which is their AD home folder.

So, has anyone else come across this?
    is it possible to run a command on the mac that will remove this protective feature of the documents folder. All we want to be able to do is redirect the documents folder to another location. I have tested it out redirecting to the same location as the other 3 folders (music, movies and pictures) but still get the same error of "operation not permitted"
    I have even changed the permission of the documents folder in system/library/user templates/english.lproj/Documents to give everyone read/write permission, but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated

2. AnthonyHunt macrumors newbie

Whilst I'm not able to shed any light on your current situation I would like to help. I too work in an educational institution and we would like to accomplish a similar thing. We have historically used 10.6 with Network Home directories but are finding a number of issues with the standard folder redirections, AD and everything else.

I would be very interested if you were able to share your script on how you achieve this and how your user in Workgroup Manager are created. Ours are augmented users with home network home directory settings applied.

I'd be happy to test this configuration and any findings we come across.

Thanks,

Anthony.