Problem replacing PS3 hard drive

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I upgraded my PS4 to 2TB, and now want to put the old PS4 hard drive (500GB) into my PS3 (replacing a 320GB).

I did a backup to an external hard drive and then swapped the internal drives. It wanted to reinstall the current firmware, so I let it do that, and then I created my user account and started restoring the backup.

Here's the problem: the restoring process seems to stop making progress at 83%. It's not exactly frozen, I was able to "cancel" out of the operation on my first try, but it just seems to be stuck at 83%. After I aborted the restore, most of my game data was found on the hard drive, some corrupted data too though. So I formatted the hard drive, restarted the restoring process, and this morning it seems stuck at 83% AGAIN.

What can I do here? Abort the process, be happy about everything that was actually restored, and manually re-install the rest? Will the PS3 still recognize the old hard drive? Should I put that one back in and create a new backup?

Wouldn't be such a pain in the behind if the both the back up and restore process didn't take like 15 hours...

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

*Edit* opps, it's the data on your PS3 that's giving you problems. Starting from scratch might be a good idea and the PS3 should recognize the HDD.

Bless

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

So...switch hard drives back, create a new backup, re-install new hard drive, and try to restore. I'll report back next month! :eek::D

4. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I put the old hard drive back in for now, and everything works fine.

I may need the 500 gigger back in my PS4 for awhile (see other thread), so the next attempt of a PS3 upgrade has been postponed.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Out of interest which drive did you put into the PS4? I put a Seagate external 2tb (took it out of its enclosure) in mine, but I've noticed weird high pitch beep every now and then.