Problem resetting PRAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I've recently been having issues with my laptop freezing when coming out of standby, so I wanted to reset my PRAM and SMC.

When I went to go reset the PRAM (Shut off, held down Command, Option, P, R, Power On) it just goes straight to OSX. I also tried booting into diagnostics by holding down D and also tried pressing F2 as seen elsewhere, without success. So, what's going on with it?

I can't tell if the SMC resets, but I will try to figure it out later.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

try just restarting, when screen goes black hold down Command, Option, P,R, you should hear the startup tone and see grey screen keep holding the buttons until you hear a second startup tone.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

must be a ram problem, have you changed the "original" ?

if not, pull out one and try pram reset; if not ok pull out the other and insert the first ...

4. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Did you set a firmware password recently? If you did, you won't be able to reset the PRAM or initiate commands.

5. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

That must be it... I set a firmware password a while back. Good thing that's in the documentation... :rolleyes: I'll give that a try.

EDIT: That was indeed the problem. Thanks MidwestStuck. Thanks to everyone else that posted. Maybe my laptop won't lock up when coming out of standby anymore.

6. MidwestStuck macrumors member

No problem. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.