Problem restoring....HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jgw1283, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

Here's my situation.....I just got my 4S, I backed up my 4 and went to restore my backup to the new phone. After 45 mins it gave me an error saying the backup was corrupt or something didn't work right. I have not updated my 4 to iOS5 yet as I have heard many horror stories, I wanted to try and avoid that step and just sync directly to my 4S that already had iOS 5 on it. Is it giving me the error because I haven't updated my 4 yet or is something else wrong?

Also, its been a while since I got a new phone....are my voicemails going to transfer over? What about my camera roll? I have a ton of pics on my camera roll that aren't in my photo albums that I want to transfer over.

Any other things I should be aware of before updating to iOS5?

thanks!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That Was Your First

Mistake. Update the old 4 to IOS5 first. When asked for your backup password (assuming you have not set one) Use your iTunes password.

Now you can tackle your newbie.

3. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

ok thanks.

What about my camera roll and voicemails?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Camera Roll Should Be

In your Backup, voicemail..Gone I think..Getting my 4S soon, but same should apply.

5. zdecent macrumors newbie

Voice mail and Camera Roll

VOICE MAIL
    Your voice mail should be stored by you carrier. Presumably you have a number on your phone that you call to have your voicemail played back to you? If you use the same SIM/phone number and provider on the 4S you will be able to call that same number and access the voice mail.

CAMERA ROLL
    Your photos should be moved across to your new phone if you do it correctly. If it doesn't move across, the best way to send them over is to put them ON your PC, and then from the PC onto your new phone. If you have problems I can talk you through it or you can find some simple solutions on Google. But it'll depend on if your using a Apple OS or Windows

:D hope this helps.

6. phreebsd macrumors regular

i did not update the 4 to ios5. I backed up my ip4 (jb'd 4.3.2) and then restored that backup to the 4S.
    went just like that. no hiccups.

7. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

I'm using a mac :)