Problem RiMac 5K R9 M295X driver Win 10 ver1511

Discussion in 'iMac' started by paelzersebbi, Dec 1, 2015.

1. paelzersebbi macrumors member

Hi,

a couple of days ago I installed the newest driver for my machine through Apple Software Update on Boot Camp Windows 10 (ver 1511, most recent build).

I have a first gen RiMac with the R9 M295X graphics cards and the new driver finally enabled 5K resolution in Windows 10. However, I could no longer access control panel and explorer.exe after the installation. Every time I click on the explorer icon in the task bar the screen flashes and that's it. I cannot open any folder anymore. And it is the same with control panel. I already tried a reinstall of the driver and the whole OS but as soon as I install the most recent driver (again, the version provided officially by Apple), I face the same issues again.

Did anyone encounter the same or similar problems with the driver? Is there maybe a fix?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I encountered the WindowsExplorer issue with a resulting screen flash and then back as it was. This was after the 1511 update on my 2014 iMac M295X iMac. I believe all it took for mine was a full power down and robot, although I may have done a PRAM reset just for good luck. It is all working normally at this time.

Good luck getting yours back to normal too ...

3. paelzersebbi thread starter macrumors member

I tried the same you did but it doesn't solve my problem. For me it started as soon as I installes the graphics driver 15.201.2001.0. (I updated to 1511 before that)

When I go back to 15.200.1060.0 the Problem is solved but I cannot use 5K anymore :/

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Classic troubleshooting would say to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it. But from what I have read here on the forums it is impossible to get it to download again after it has first installed itself. If you still have the original download for the driver you might be able to do that, but I think on mine it deleted the download after the installation completed.

If you have a WinClone backup of pre-driver state, you might back up to that and try it again.

Good luck ...

5. paelzersebbi thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I can go back to a "pre-driver state". I reinstalled Windows a couple of days ago and downloaded the newest Windows build and the newest Apple drivers before the installation. I ended up with the same problem from this clean install and came here for a solution :(